• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank statement as proof of travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank statement as proof of travel

Hi all. I'm new here so please accept my apologies if this subject has been settled on here before.
    I'm a self employed public sector worker (limited company) and can claim travel against my tax. Now, I've been using my debit card to travel to and from work in London, using the station tap in system . I assumed I could use my bank statements as proof of travel should I be audited - states the date and cost of journey. Can anyone confirm if this is ok?

How long have you lived and worked in London?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

What's your IR35 status?

Comment

Your accountant should.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Your accountant should.
          What's the point of an 'accounting / legal' section if the stock answer is 'talk to your accountant / lawyer'.

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
            What's the point of an 'accounting / legal' section if the stock answer is 'talk to your accountant / lawyer'.
            Because one you pay for professional advice, the other is populated by contractors who don't have much of a clue. You might, if you are lucky, get half a response from an accountant type that is willing to spend his time for free.

Who do you think would be best to speak to first? It's likely when speaking to your accountant they will ask the relevant information first and probably educate on other elements of the question you are asking as well. We just get drip fed an attempt an answer based on that.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
              Because we have already noticed 2 things missing in the OP's question that show the information we've been given is incomplete.

1) based on the tax bit in the OPs question I think the answer is (assumption) He is inside IR35 so should be paying for travel out of taxed income.

2) based on the fact its London he's probably been heading into central London for over 2 years (assumption) 2) travel will have to be paid out of taxed income,

however both the above are answers are based on assumptions I'm having to make as the OP hasn't answered those questions...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Bank statements are fine as proof of expenses as long as it's identifiable what you've paid for. In the case of travel it should be.

Comment

You can register your debit card on the Oyster website and set your account up so they email you a CSV/pdf every month with your journeys.

I actually used the journey email when one client disputed the days I had worked.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I asked my accountant the same question and he said it would be fine as the expense was clearly identifiable. I think you can also register an a card with TfL and get a journey history which would support any claim.

Comment

Working...
                    X