• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How was my day rate calculated??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent View Post
    Get used to these kind of answers Tom, very few helpful people on these forums...

Most just say ask your accountant or google it...my advice is ask your accountant and before you do, give it a quick google.

Good luck buddy
    :rollin
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Get used to these kind of answers Tom, very few helpful people on these forums...

Most just say ask your accountant or google it...my advice is ask your accountant and before you do, give it a quick google.

Good luck buddy
      Given a decent question, there is massive amounts of help on here.

What gets people upset is when people have done no reading whatsoever. Or if they answer a question based on given facts. And those given facts then mutate as the thread goes on.

Comment

Good luck buddy
        So we've given the best answers we can on the information provided, have supplied a worked example, have not got any answers to the questions we asked in return (and I pointed out that being a contractor involves rather more than simply doing the day job - something I've been saying for at least ten years) and we're not being helpful...

Some people simply can't be helped, sadly.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Talent Tom View Post
          So, I'm about to start with with a public sector organisation.
          Private sector I'd charge £525pd, which was agreed.
          For background - I'm VAT registered, pay 16.5% corp tax.

I know they have to deduct tax & NI 'at source', but the figure they've said they'll pay me is £463.11pd.

Does anyone have any idea how that's been calculated?!
          And will I be liable for any other taxes after it's paid (income, corporate, etc)?
          My guess is they're taking out employers NI/apprenticeship levy but expect you to pay the income tax/employees NI out of what's left

£463.11*5*52=£120408.60 "salary"

plug that into Employer NIC Calculator - Good Calculators gives £15489.67 employers NI due

and apprenticeship levy of 0.5% on salary = £602.04

£120408.60 + £15489.67 + £602.04= £136500.31

so it's costing them £135898.27 /52 /5 = £525.00 per day to pay you £463.11
          Last edited by pr1; 9 August 2017, 07:35. Reason: added apprenticeship levy

Comment

Good luck buddy
            Compared to the staggering value you provide here yourself, you mean
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Talent Tom View Post
              So, I'm about to start with with a public sector organisation.
              Private sector I'd charge £525pd, which was agreed.
              For background - I'm VAT registered, pay 16.5% corp tax.

I know they have to deduct tax & NI 'at source', but the figure they've said they'll pay me is £463.11pd.
              It should be similar to the way that an umbrella calculates it, based on your daily rate our figures are as follows:

Weekly

Company Income 2625.00
              Employment Taxes 307.21
              Employee's NI 113.77
              Employee Tax 791.08
              Total All Tax 1,212.06
              CU Margin 29.50
              Total Net Income 1,383.44

They will be deducting the Employment Taxes (ie Employers NI and Apprenticeship Levy) and they should be taking the Employees NI and PAYE tax, so what is paid to your Ltd company can be taken with all taxes accounted for.

Removing the Employment taxes from your contract rate and excluding our umbrella margin, your day rate which is subject to Employees NI and PAYE tax is around £463.00 (as they suggest).

HTH

Comment

Make that three worked examples....
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Make that three worked examples....
                  maybe it will sink in now

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Compared to the staggering value you provide here yourself, you mean
                    You didn't get the irony in my post did you..

Comment

You didn't get the irony in my post did you..
                      No matter, I can assure you there was no irony in my response
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X