Take home pay from £300/day?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11

    TripleIronDad

    BrilloPad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    99,733
    Thanks (Given)
    25325
    Thanks (Received)
    6777
    Likes (Given)
    25325
    Likes (Received)
    11258

    Default

    There should be more to it than money. Not having to go through the permie rigmarole is worth alot to me.
    If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

  2. #12

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    34,173
    Thanks (Given)
    142
    Thanks (Received)
    1538
    Likes (Given)
    1806
    Likes (Received)
    6194

    Default

    300 is a little on the low side isn't it? Where is it and exactly what role are you carrying out? If it's a fairly basic role then there is going to be a lot of competition for them as well. Particularly if most of the applicants are our offshore friends.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #13

    Godlike

    PurpleGorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,418
    Thanks (Given)
    607
    Thanks (Received)
    295
    Likes (Given)
    2619
    Likes (Received)
    1207

    Default

    FWIW I left just under £60k for £55 and hour.

    But since I did this contracting has been squeezed by hmrc so you need to make more for the scales to balance up.

    FWIW I would stick with £40k a year, and only investigate contracting when you can make >£450 a day.

  4. #14

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    8,478
    Thanks (Given)
    1173
    Thanks (Received)
    648
    Likes (Given)
    434
    Likes (Received)
    2398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    FWIW I left just under £60k for £55 and hour.

    But since I did this contracting has been squeezed by hmrc so you need to make more for the scales to balance up.

    FWIW I would stick with £40k a year, and only investigate contracting when you can make >£450 a day.
    £40k you take home £30.5k. You don't have to work many outside IR35 days at £400 to pass that.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  5. #15

    More time posting than coding

    l35kee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    217
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    13
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    £40k you take home £30.5k. You don't have to work many outside IR35 days at £400 to pass that.
    less than 5 months. Doesn't include the various ltd fees, but still. That's some perspective.

  6. #16

    Godlike

    PurpleGorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,418
    Thanks (Given)
    607
    Thanks (Received)
    295
    Likes (Given)
    2619
    Likes (Received)
    1207

    Default Take home pay from £300/day?

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    £40k you take home £30.5k. You don't have to work many outside IR35 days at £400 to pass that.
    Yeah but OP talking about £300 a day.

    The calc above estimates £4k take home a month on that. (72%) or £48k p/a.

    You make an extra £17k but have loads more risk, must bill the days, no pension etc.

    Having had 8weeks on the bench last year I am a bit more circumspect about it all...
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 2nd August 2017 at 15:15.

  7. #17

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    8,478
    Thanks (Given)
    1173
    Thanks (Received)
    648
    Likes (Given)
    434
    Likes (Received)
    2398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Yeah but OP talking about £300 a day.

    The calc above estimates £4k take home a month on that. (72%) or £48k p/a.

    You make an extra £17k but have loads more risk, must bill the days, no pension etc.

    Having had 8weeks on the bench last year I am a bit more circumspect about it all...
    But you were talking about 450 pd!

    £400 pd works, but agree that £300 pd vs £40k pa is close.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  8. #18

    Godlike

    PurpleGorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,418
    Thanks (Given)
    607
    Thanks (Received)
    295
    Likes (Given)
    2619
    Likes (Received)
    1207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    But you were talking about 450 pd!

    £400 pd works, but agree that £300 pd vs £40k pa is close.
    I know I did, I was suggesting to stick to permie until you can break into £450 a day.

  9. #19

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    8,478
    Thanks (Given)
    1173
    Thanks (Received)
    648
    Likes (Given)
    434
    Likes (Received)
    2398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I know I did, I was suggesting to stick to permie until you can break into £450 a day.
    But £400 pd would work nicely compared to 40k p.a.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  10. #20

    Godlike

    PurpleGorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,418
    Thanks (Given)
    607
    Thanks (Received)
    295
    Likes (Given)
    2619
    Likes (Received)
    1207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    But £400 pd would work nicely compared to 40k p.a.
    You make an extra £17k take home. (See above)

    But no pension and bigger risk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.