• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My accountant.!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My accountant.!

I am with one of the top contractor account paying £100+ every month for the last 2+ years. Things were great in the beginning after many changes in handlers (I suppose my case handed over to more inexperienced resources) now I am finding too many mistakes from them. Every number I query come back with an apology and correction!

So looks like time for a change..

I am on bench and not keen to pay £100 per month. So planning to take over that job myself. I am sure duplicating monthly payslips and profit loss calculations in similar lines will not be that difficult, especially since I am in bench now.

I am told about HMRC real time (RTI) for monthly done by the tax consultant now. How could I get access to this..?

I know i might have to take help from tax consultant for yearly submission next year (accounts upt o Jan 2017 already submitted).

Key task as I understood are..

1. Monthly PAYE submission
    2. Monthly profit/loss calculation
    3. Quarterly VAT
    4. Annual returns

Am I missing any..? Should I be able to perform this in simiar way to my current calculations until there is some changes in tax rate etc..? Thanks very much.

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post

Am I missing any..? Should I be able to perform this in simiar way to my current calculations until there is some changes in tax rate etc..? Thanks very much.
    That sentence alone tells me you shouldn't be doing it by yourself. Learning how to do your own accounting on a free internet forum. What could go wrong?

Find yourself an accountant that is willing to suspend rates for bench time, or at least reduce them. Plenty do.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

being blunt. If you don't know everything that is needed it's not wise to do it on your own.

I changed accountant, almost certainly from the same company, to a FreeAgent accountant. I did this whilst on the bench as that's a good time to change.
      I shopped around, and chose Gorilla (not the cheapest but the most suitable package I felt).

You also get some free months from them.

As you'll still end up paying for an accountant (I reckon anyway), and you find out that it'll cost you the same to get them to do the ad-hoc work, then the monthly fee doesn't seem so bad.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

We along with other accountants on here will offer a dormancy service for times you are benched.

Our fee for instance goes down to £30+VAT, this covers all NIL returns etc and your FreeAgent subs.

Comment

Dormant company accountancy fee is normally in the region of £10+vat a month and there is no need for the FreeAgent subscription as a dormant company has no transactions.

Comment

In terms of accountancy fee in periods when out of contract, the OP could ask their accountant to negotiate a reduced monthly fee. Most accountants are prepared to do this or enquire with other accountants. We also include FreeAgent in our packages and offer reduced monthly fee for periods out of contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
              Dormant company accountancy fee is normally in the region of £10+vat a month and there is no need for the FreeAgent subscription as a dormant company has no transactions.
              By Dormancy service I am referring to period's when a contractor is benched, not a full year's dormancy in which case is rare.

Are you suggesting you'd turn your clients subscription to FA off when they are benched?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael at BI Accountancy View Post
                By Dormancy service I am referring to period's when a contractor is benched, not a full year's dormancy in which case is rare.

Are you suggesting you'd turn your clients subscription to FA off when they are benched?
                You could turn the subscription off with the clients agreement to this. The account will still be there under your practice dashboard but the client will not have to pay for the license in months when out of contract provided that no transactions are pending to be entered. The account can be made active when the client needs it again. If it is a dormant company, I will transfer a read only access to the client but this will remove the account from your Practice dashboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
                  You could turn the subscription off with the clients agreement to this. The account will still be there under your practice dashboard but the client will not have to pay for the license in months when out of contract provided that no transactions are pending to be entered. The account can be made active when the client needs it again. If it is a dormant company, I will transfer a read only access to the client but this will remove the account from your Practice dashboard.
                  Wy do you charge them for FreeAgent at all? It makes your life easier doesn't it?
                  Last edited by simondolan; 25 July 2017, 09:50. Reason: typo
                  P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
                    Wy do you charge them for FreeAgent at all? It makes your life easier doesn't it?
                    You never have to charge for a spreadsheet
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X