• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on UK contracting using offshore company with UK agency agreement

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on UK contracting using offshore company with UK agency agreement

Hi,

My first post here although I have been contracting in excess of 10 years.

I contract as a single person using a limited company, I charge a day rate for IT consultancy services and have no other products or sales.

Up to now I have always taken the UK limited company route, however recently I have been contemplating offshore to releive my tax burden which has substantially increased over the past 18 months due to large rate increases in my sector. Having had a quick search on the internet I was contacted by a company who suggested the following.

Incorporation in Belize
    nominee director
    power of attorney
    nominee shareholder

Putting in place a UK agency agreement between the UK compny and the one in belize.

I am interested in anyones experience of doing this, basically my UK company would be declaring in its accounts turnover of just the 5% cut of the day rate as a fee and then passing all other monies to the company in belize as stated in the contract.

I have very little understanding of offshore so before I go handing over money and putting anything into place I want to ensure I am not falling into some kind of common trap.

If anyone has done this did you set it all up yourself (i am very verse with setting up a uk limited ) is it just as easy to set up offshore or is it better to use one of the many companies who will do it for me ?

I want to avoid any loop hole schemes as I understand the new law introduced for anti avoidance, from what I can find on the method suggested everything would be abouve board and not using any schemes.

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

Console

I doubt that you'll find any agency prepared to take you on with this method of tax avoidance.

Just because it doesn't involve a scheme doesn't mean that HMRC won't go after you (or the agency, particularly if you work in the public sector).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Have you read this thread: -

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...following.html

Comment

OP, what could possibly go wrong?
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          OP, what could possibly go wrong?
          If your company is called "Amazon", nothing. And if you have a spare few million for legal advice, possibly nothing either.

Comment

If it was that simple, everyone would be doing it

If you are UK resident then with full disclosure of the facts the Belize company becomes UK controlled and subject to UK taxation, same as your existing UK company.

"Schemes" like this have often been built around secrecy. Worldwide doors are slamming on secrecy as a tax planning tool, and there are enhanced penalties if you get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
              and there are enhanced penalties if you get caught.
              Starting with APNs. Rising to raiding of bank accounts. Then prison.

HMRC fight dirty at every turn. Remember when HMRC were made police officers of an overseas territory for a day so you could be part of a raid?

Comment

If it were that easy and was legal wouldn't we all be doing it? The fact we haven't seen a single person on this forum that's pulled it off speaks volumes.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  If it were that easy and was legal wouldn't we all be doing it? The fact we haven't seen a single person on this forum that's pulled it off speaks volumes.
                  And plenty who have badly suffered...

Comment

Avoid like the plague.

Comment

Working...
                    X