• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance - IR35 Cross Hairs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance - IR35 Cross Hairs?

I am considering undergoing SC clearance with the company I work for but this goes pretty deeply into the contracts I've had over the past 5 years. Regardless of actual status, does this not bring me right to the attention of HMRC and in doing so, IR35 legislation? I'd imagine this would make me a pretty easy target but haven't been able to find any info about this. As far as I'm concerned, I am outside it but nobody really wants an investigation!
    Just wondered if anyone had any ideas about this or if they've had an investigation on the back of an SC application.

SC clearance and IR35 are (in my experience) not linked. Is your current client company a ListX organisation?

Do you need SC for an upcoming role?

Comment

Originally posted by Bondy666 View Post
      I am considering undergoing SC clearance with the company I work for but this goes pretty deeply into the contracts I've had over the past 5 years. Regardless of actual status, does this not bring me right to the attention of HMRC and in doing so, IR35 legislation? I'd imagine this would make me a pretty easy target but haven't been able to find any info about this. As far as I'm concerned, I am outside it but nobody really wants an investigation!
      Just wondered if anyone had any ideas about this or if they've had an investigation on the back of an SC application.

Security Clearance checks are entirely confidential and the information you provide is not shared with anyone else.

The Vetting agency will have a requested a copy of the info HMRC hold on you to cross check with the answers you give them on the vetting forms. They do not disclose the contents of those forms to HMRC or anyone else. There is no reason that being vetted for SC or any other clearance would flag you to HMRC or anyone else.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Security Clearance checks are entirely confidential and the information you provide is not shared with anyone else.

The Vetting agency will have a requested a copy of the info HMRC hold on you to cross check with the answers you give them on the vetting forms. They do not disclose the contents of those forms to HMRC or anyone else. There is no reason that being vetted for SC or any other clearance would flag you to HMRC or anyone else.
        Thanks Dave,

Very reassuring. Makes me feel a bit more confident about the whole process.

Comment

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
          SC clearance and IR35 are (in my experience) not linked. Is your current client company a ListX organisation?

Do you need SC for an upcoming role?
          It is a ListX company and it will be for upcoming roles. Unfortunately I don't see it helping me as much as I'd hoped in the future given the government's current stance on IR35 contractors in their departments however.

Thanks

Comment

It is a ListX company and it will be for upcoming roles. Unfortunately I don't see it helping me as much as I'd hoped in the future given the government's current stance on IR35 contractors in their departments however.

Thanks
            Still good to have. There could be some nice pickings for SC guys once the mess has all died down and the shortages really hit hard. Not just Gov departments needed either so get it under your belt and carry on.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks
              Don't get too excited about gaining SC. If you need it in anger - say for a new gig - you will almost certainly be re-vetted anyway; Departments don't always trust commercial companies' vetting processes.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
              X