• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Flat Rate Scheme Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    Do you still get a 1% discount in your first year of VAT registration if you still use FRS?
    Yes the 1% discount is still in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
      Yes, you do. I had a notion that they may have withdrawn this for low cost traders, but it seems not.
      That might make a slight difference for those starting out then. Thanks.
      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

TLDR; most of us will want to seriously consider coming off the FRS and people who have been trying to concoct buy/sell schemes to try and get around it are, predictably, out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          TLDR; most of us will want to seriously consider coming off the FRS and people who have been trying to concoct buy/sell schemes to try and get around it are, predictably, out of luck.
          No they just want a letter than an early morning visit from the VAT fraud investigation team.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Has anyone had any advice from their accountants about switching off the VAT FRS midway through a VAT period? Mine is waiting for a response from HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by alloverit View Post
              Has anyone had any advice from their accountants about switching off the VAT FRS midway through a VAT period? Mine is waiting for a response from HMRC.
              My accountant will change me to normal VAT at the end March. My next VAT period ends at the end of April.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                My accountant will change me to normal VAT at the end March. My next VAT period ends at the end of April.
                You won't be able to use the cash accounting scheme until your next VAT period.

So you have to pay all your VAT for April up front.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You won't be able to use the cash accounting scheme until your next VAT period.

So you have to pay all your VAT for April up front.
                  I don't think that's the case if you are already operating cash accounting.

What if I used Cash accounting before joining the Flat Rate Scheme?
                  You carry on as before. There is no need to pay the VAT your customers owe you when you change schemes. Include any payments you receive whilst using the Flat Rate Scheme in the total to which you apply your flat rate percentage. VAT Notice 731 Cash accounting gives information about the Cash accounting scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by alloverit View Post
                    We're looking at each case individually but it looking like a choice between (a) stay on FRS at 16.5% for convenience if nothing else; (b) switch to standard if your VAT reclaimable expenditure exceeds c£2,000 per year; or (c) de-register for VAT if your turnover is less than £81k. A and C are for those who wish to eliminate the ballache of keeping receipts and recording the VAT, and B is for those who wants to save a couple of quid.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                      I don't think that's the case if you are already operating cash accounting.
                      Cash accounting in the flat rate scheme is considered separately from normal VAT cash accounting.

I would just ring the VAT office up and check.

Comment

Working...
                      X