• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self employed training allowable for tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    For example the NHS can train someone up for virtually any role you can think of due to their size
    I'm not sure they could. If say, a receptionist decided they wanted to become a nurse, the cost of their training would not be a tax deductible cost because its not wholly, exclusively and necessarily for their current job.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      I'm not sure they could. If say, a receptionist decided they wanted to become a nurse, the cost of their training would not be a tax deductible cost because its not wholly, exclusively and necessarily for their current job.
      It's not to do with the job but the organisation.

So I know they train nurses and some other clinical staff to become hospital managers.

In regards to a receptionist becoming a nurse - they did use to encourage lower band permanent staff to do degrees and train for roles e.g. nursing, public health, social work but be based at that hospital during training. This is because the funding came from the Department for Health. Now people have to do pay for it themselves using student loans.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 16 February 2017, 13:17.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you were to pay for training that is allowable for tax, is it the date you pay for it, or actually go on the training that counts for what financial year you claim it in?

It's just that I'm paying for some training next week, but doing it at a later date, which is in the next financial year, so which one would it fall in?
        Last edited by gaff; 26 March 2017, 21:07.

Comment

Originally posted by gaff View Post
          If you were to pay for training that is allowable for tax, is it the date you pay for it, or actually go on the training that counts?

It's just that I'm paying for some training next week, but doing it at a later date, which is in the next financial year, so which one would it fall in?
          linky
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            "Reclaiming VAT on training"

What has that got to do with what I was asking?

Comment

If you were to pay for training that is allowable for tax, is it the date you pay for it, or actually go on the training that counts for what financial year you claim it in?

The date of the Supplier's invoice (in the name of YourCo.)
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

"Reclaiming VAT on training"

What has that got to do with what I was asking?
                Quite a lot, actually. If it isn't "wholly and exclusively" for business you normally can't claim the VAT on it, but in the case of training you definitely can't. (There are pages of HMRC guidance notes on this somewhere on their website).

But to answer the original question, the training is allowable if - and only if - it is line with the principle fee-earning activity of the business. So in the OP's case I would say it is therefore claimable since the training is maintaining existing skills rather than developing new ones.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hypothetically if you put courses down as an expense that in your opinion were allowable, but after HMRC investigation they decided that they weren't allowable, what would the consequence be, would you only have to pay the tax owed if you hadn't claimed or would there be a fine on top of that?

Comment

If they believe it was a genuine mistake, it would normally be tax owed + interest from the date it was due.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

But to answer the original question, the training is allowable if - and only if - it is line with the principle fee-earning activity of the business. So in the OP's case I would say it is therefore claimable since the training is maintaining existing skills rather than developing new ones.
                      I'll go back to my original comment, and drop this here:

The situation as regards tax relief for training paid for by employers is very different. By and large, any training which makes their employees better able to do their jobs (and this includes very general sorts of training which may not have an immediate impact on their ability to do the work) will be allowable.

https://www.conscious.co.uk/site/lib...eductible.html

And lets remember, we're not self-employed, but employees.

Comment

Working...
                      X