• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension for Dumbies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    They probably can't advise you on the best pension, but they can tell you that a company pension contribution is tax efficient. It's a legitimate expense, so will reduce the profit (and therefore CT and dividends). Pay 50% tax, then your company pension contribution is double what you'd be able to make personally. Which is nice. The downside is that you have to wait to spend the money.
    and may have to pay tax when you take it out. Depends on many factors, not least that the rules may change before you get to 55.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hi,

Well, Landsdown H account created, even invested in my first tracker - Fundsmith.

Emailed account, telling them about the creation of my SIPP and plan to shovel off £300 a month.

Cheers guys.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        They probably can't advise you on the best pension, but they can tell you that a company pension contribution is tax efficient. It's a legitimate expense, so will reduce the profit (and therefore CT and dividends). Pay 50% tax, then your company pension contribution is double what you'd be able to make personally. Which is nice. The downside is that you have to wait to spend the money.
        Was just about to post pretty much this. Saved me the bother.

If your accountant isn't helping you with this, then he's probably not helping with lots more your don't realise. Get yourself an accountant who will provide advice based on real time info, not compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
          If your accountant isn't helping you with this, then he's probably not helping with lots more your don't realise. Get yourself an accountant who will provide advice based on real time info, not compliance.
          Know anyone that could help him out Alan? 😉
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Know anyone that could help him out Alan? [emoji6]
            Why, Mr Nluk, I couldn't possibly say. [emoji3]

Comment

Seek the advice of an IFA - they normally offer the first hour consultation FOC. You can pick their brains during this time.

Comment

Originally posted by SBK1972 View Post
                Hi,

Well, Landsdown H account created, even invested in my first tracker - Fundsmith.

Emailed account, telling them about the creation of my SIPP and plan to shovel off £300 a month.

Cheers guys.

Simon
                Well done. But just so that you know, Fundsmith is an excellent choice for your SIPP, but it isn't a tracker. It has made excellent returns the last five years, where a tracker would have tracked the chosen index and gone pretty much nowhere. If you go to the Fundsmith website you can download their "owners manual". Well worth reading.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                X