• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses Question from a Noob

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses Question from a Noob

Short story: I have accrued 70 miles of travel expenses today. Do I simply need to document this in an expenses spreadsheet (or equivalent online system) and then do a bank tx from business account to personal account? Also, does it matter if I am reimbursing expenses daily or weekly in my Ltd's infancy? Does this matter?

Long story: So i signed up with an accountant, I am not really sure what they have done since then, had to chase them for VAT reg, PAYE reg, difficult to contact them and so i have binned them, and am awaiting signing up to a new accountant, but i dont want to be charged for two months concurrently, so I am in limbo for a couple of weeks.

I have given my bus. acc. a director loan of £500 to cover insurance etc. and I have finally received my first payment from client. I am therefore v low on cash in my personal account and want some money. I have been recording expenses so far on a FreeAgent trial.

Thanks

assuming lots of things... but... record the mileage. Pay yourself from company 45p per mile.

How often you do it is up to you. I do it when I can be arsed and I need the $$$

Why not pay your director loan back to yourself? There's £500 straight away.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

oh. and sell any computers you own to the company for a fair market price. Assuming they will be used wholly and exclusively for business purposes.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If you have to chase the accountant you may want to change to a different one. Bad accountants are usually proactive at the beginning then slack later.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You don't really need an accountant for the basic stuff. There are enough guides on the basics on the web. Even if you have an accountant you should be able to research and understand stuff like this.

Free agent has a mileage option as well so should be even easier.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why 45p per mile, everything I read says 40p

Comment

Originally posted by MikhailCompo2 View Post
              Why 45p per mile, everything I read says 40p
              You need to download a new version of the internet...1st link on google

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene.../rules-for-tax

Comment

Short story: I have accrued 70 miles of travel expenses today. Do I simply need to document this in an expenses spreadsheet (or equivalent online system) and then do a bank tx from business account to personal account? Also, does it matter if I am reimbursing expenses daily or weekly in my Ltd's infancy? Does this matter?

Long story: So i signed up with an accountant, I am not really sure what they have done since then, had to chase them for VAT reg, PAYE reg, difficult to contact them and so i have binned them, and am awaiting signing up to a new accountant, but i dont want to be charged for two months concurrently, so I am in limbo for a couple of weeks.

I have given my bus. acc. a director loan of £500 to cover insurance etc. and I have finally received my first payment from client. I am therefore v low on cash in my personal account and want some money. I have been recording expenses so far on a FreeAgent trial.

Thanks
                Recording the mileage in Freeagent should be sufficient, no need to do it in a spreadhseet again.

Have you recorded everything (all expenses, invoices, bills etc.) in freeagent? If you have you should be able to see if there is profit in the business so you can pay yourself a dividend.

If you're still not sure how much you'll be paying yourself PAYE vs Dividends, do it as a director loan for the time being. When you've had advice from your new accountant it can then be cleared when/however is best.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  If you have to chase the accountant you may want to change to a different one. Bad accountants are usually proactive at the beginning then slack later.
                  ??

So i signed up with an accountant, I am not really sure what they have done since then, had to chase them for VAT reg, PAYE reg, difficult to contact them and so i have binned them, and am awaiting signing up to a new accountant, but i dont want to be charged for two months concurrently, so I am in limbo for a couple of weeks.

Comment

All my accounting has been on spreadsheets to date. That 70 miles will give you £31.50 at £0.45 per mile. I'd normally wait till month end/quarter end to pay out expenses but that's up to you. As others have said, if you've loaned the business £500 then repay that for a start. Unless you live the life of a monk then £31.50 isn't going to get you very far.

Comment

Working...
                    X