• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for a US company in the UK with maybe European work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gremlinsky View Post

I've heard Copenhagen is lovely - is it worth all this hassle ?!!
    It is!

I live in Sydhavn, every morning I walk for about 10 mins to the Teglhomen Quay and take the harbourbus river boat to Knippelsbro literally 20 secs walk from there to work. Takes 25 mins or so, great views including nude lady swimmers. After work I generally take the same boat onward to Nyhavn, absolutely wonderful place, very beautiful, have a walk about, down Strøget toward Tivoli Gardens, pop into the English Pub on Vesterbro for a chat with some Brits, watch Sky Sports, then on to either bus or S-Bane to Sydhavn, and home....

My fave city has always been Bern, love the place, but since I discovered Nyhavn it's second place now....

Started playing in a Joy Division tribute band, no gigs yet, need to get a bike, they're cheap enough but go quickly, there are bike lanes EVERYWHERE, like a third of every road...

I intend to settle here, not being a Brexiter, the only issue for me is language, I'm pretty good at language, Danish is very similar to English in grammar, I can read it easily, however the pronounciation is well odd, Strøget is something like Stroll, Mad (food) is Mel, Hovedbanegården is something like Hoovelbenare...

Everyone speaks A1 English so you never get the chance to practice. You get 250 hours of free Danish lessons too.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      It is!

I live in Sydhavn, every morning I walk for about 10 mins to the Teglhomen Quay and take the harbourbus river boat to Knippelsbro literally 20 secs walk from there to work. Takes 25 mins or so, great views including nude lady swimmers. After work I generally take the same boat onward to Nyhavn, absolutely wonderful place, very beautiful, have a walk about, down Strøget toward Tivoli Gardens, pop into the English Pub on Vesterbro for a chat with some Brits, watch Sky Sports, then on to either bus or S-Bane to Sydhavn, and home....

My fave city has always been Bern, love the place, but since I discovered Nyhavn it's second place now....

Started playing in a Joy Division tribute band, no gigs yet, need to get a bike, they're cheap enough but go quickly, there are bike lanes EVERYWHERE, like a third of every road...

I intend to settle here, not being a Brexiter, the only issue for me is language, I'm pretty good at language, Danish is very similar to English in grammar, I can read it easily, however the pronounciation is well odd, Strøget is something like Stroll, Mad (food) is Mel, Hovedbanegården is something like Hoovelbenare...

Everyone speaks A1 English so you never get the chance to practice. You get 250 hours of free Danish lessons too.
      I've been having to explain Joy Division to my 13 year old son recently - we've had "let's dance to Joy Division" blaring out about the house for weeks - I thought I'd let him know who they were!

I'm in the process of explaining how I'll need to set stuff up to work in Denmark with the US company/agency.

I'll see what they say.

Comment

I phoned them - spot on advice.
        Using the ex pat scheme seems to be the way to go working under an umbrella company based in Denmark itself.
        The UK company will continue to deal with days spent in the UK.

The only things I need to make sure are:
        The US company are happy dealing with things in this way
        I'm not spending too much time in Finland or I'll have to go through an umbrella company there also.

At least I feel I understand my options.

I've heard Copenhagen is lovely - is it worth all this hassle ?!!
        Sounds like a sensible plan Yes, CPH is great.

Comment

I've been having to explain Joy Division to my 13 year old son recently - we've had "let's dance to Joy Division" blaring out about the house for weeks - I thought I'd let him know who they were!

I'm in the process of explaining how I'll need to set stuff up to work in Denmark with the US company/agency.

I'll see what they say.
          Saw them at Bolton Institute of Technology refrectory in 78 or 79, Ian Curtis kicked this lad in the face, accidently, not a fit....

Bumped into Hooky at a gig at Manchester International c 1984, REM I think, his rep. for being hard preceded him and I was too scared to speak to him. History now reveals he was actually very mellow and mild, just kicks off when it kicks off...

I'm a guitarist but playing bass in this band, named 'Joyed Revision' - clever eh, my idea! I had a Shergold Marathon Six string bass around '82, loved it, paid £170 for it, flogged it for £180 and I was overjoyed since I never ever made a profit on anything. Looked on eBay recently and one went for £3995....

Burgundy, maple neck, hard case too....

Comment

Working...
          X