• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on signing a new and first limited company contract with an agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent View Post
    That may be the case sometimes but we all know that agencies like contractors to be opted-in. The initial compensation may not be as much as you think. Agencies are not gonna get rich getting paid for 13 weeks margin then missing out on another 12 months because the contractor / procurement suddenly realised that they can hire direct without a cost.
    Didn't you just say the opposite a couple of posts down?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hmm, I'm more confused now. I've spoken to the recruiter they say they'll need to send out a new contract if I choose to opt in, let's see...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Didn't you just say the opposite a couple of posts down?
        typo

Comment

Originally posted by newbieITContractor2015 View Post
          Hmm, I'm more confused now. I've spoken to the recruiter they say they'll need to send out a new contract if I choose to opt in, let's see...
          That's pretty standard as the contract for services normally references your opt in/out status. If it suddenly goes quiet for 24/48 hours then they're trying to find a replacement for you... just a heads up.

Comment

That's pretty standard as the contract for services normally references your opt in/out status. If it suddenly goes quiet for 24/48 hours then they're trying to find a replacement for you... just a heads up.
            Legally, although there is no case law as such, you are likely to be technically opted in as you have already met the client.
            Most agencies don't get this.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

That may be the case sometimes but we all know that agencies like contractors to be opted-out. The initial compensation may not be as much as you think. Agencies are not gonna get rich getting paid for 13 weeks margin then missing out on another 12 months because the contractor / procurement suddenly realised that they can hire direct without a cost.

It's not that the client pulls tricks it's that things change. At a agency that I previously worked, we lost 15 contractors in one hit because the opt-out process hadn't been followed correctly. A new opt-out savvy procurement guy joined our client and realised that he could make a huge saving by hiring them all direct. It completely f*cked the agency who had made investments and hires on the basis of having this contract revenue. It only ever happened once, but guess how many opt-in contractors we put forward after that happened....zero, nada, none.

I'm not saying it will happen but just making the OP aware that this is a red flag for any recruiter. If it's 50/50 between you and another contractor who's opted out then I guarantee it's a deciding factor.
              It's worth pointing out that my only red flag with agencies is an agency insisting on me opting opt. If they do I move to the next agency on the end clients list or just skip the opportunity
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've already shown my ignorance on the matter by forgetting which way round opt in and opt out was, but I remember looking what opting in meant and deciding that it seemed slightly more that I was in business in my own right by opting out.

I didn't (and still don't) think it had any bearing on IR35, but I've always tried to operate as business first and a BOS contractor last. That's why I decided to opt out. None of the opt in 'benefits' really mattered to me.

I still think the general guidance of this forum to opt out is sound and good advice, and I agree with the OP trying to opt in. I'm just explaining why I decided to opt out.

One other reason is that I nearly always had something in the contract I wanted to negotiate - reduce the handcuff clause, make it more clear the contract is with MyCo Ltd, tighten up the RoS clause, etc. I decided to pick my battles and agreed to opt out on the basis that I wanted my contract improved.

Maybe I was lucky in never having issues - certainly it seems you do get a bit more protection in terms of invoices being paid if you opt in. But there, that's why I always always opted out.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  It's worth pointing out that my only red flag with agencies is an agency insisting on me opting opt. If they do I move to the next agency on the end clients list or just skip the opportunity
                  And you have access to the end clients agency list... hmmm

Everyone has a choice I suppose. I'm just trying to help the OP understand what could happen in some instances.

Comment

And you have access to the end clients agency list... hmmm

Everyone has a choice I suppose. I'm just trying to help the OP understand what could happen in some instances.
                    Nope but it's blooming obvious on job serve which agencies are trying to fill a contract
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Nope but it's blooming obvious on job serve which agencies are trying to fill a contract

Ain't that the case........ sometimes, if a big team is being looked for, the better roles are with the more professional agencies.
                      The lower paid roles will be with others.
                      It should be noted the ad is worded the same.

Obviously, it helps to know this
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X