• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule - This is different!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sociopath View Post
    There is no break in continuous work. On the example given it was same employer, two sites. You have to consider both rules. They would have spent more than 40% of their time over a period of more than two years. Read 490.
    The point here is that it is the same employer - yourCo.

Comment

There is no break in continuous work. On the example given it was same employer, two sites. You have to consider both rules. They would have spent more than 40% of their time over a period of more than two years. Read 490.
      Neither one is an employer.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Client not location is the relevant bit but all the same. I dont think any distinction is made for same client just same location though.

But you are agreeing to the example here. Others would say no because you're still less than 24 months at location A.

Also, as I said, what about:-

Location A - 1 day
        Location B - 23 months
        Location A - 12 months

By this argument, the one day almost two years ago would prevent any claim at location A 2nd time around. I'm sorry that is just nuts and totally silly. There MUST be some reasonable reset.
        In this example work time spent is greater than 40% at both locations over a period greater than 24 months so I would expect neither can be considered a temporary workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
          Neither one is an employer.
          Yourco is the employer

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Exactly

Comment

In this example work time spent is greater than 40% at both locations over a period greater than 24 months so I would expect neither can be considered a temporary workplace.
              Going back to something else then. Work in Timbuctoo for 14 months then go and work in London for 10 months. You've now worked in London for 10/24 which is more than 40%. Stop claiming? no of course we dont do that.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Exactly
                Yes same employer different clients.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  However if you basically worked in the same location before your company became your employer, you also fall foul of the rules.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

To confuse things even more. Based on me, which was

A - 3 months
                    B - 8 months
                    A - Currently about to sign to take it to 21 months.

Accountant has told me that, 12 months when the 15 month extension was offered I should have stopped claiming. Because,

1) Its now just over 24 months since I first worked in location A (it is 15+8+3 = 26 months ago).
                    2) I've spent over 40% of this 24 months working in location A.

Seems to make sense to me based on the HMRC guidelines. i.e Wasn't in force before because it was less than 24 months ago that I first stared working in location A.

So, see below based on my extensions

3 Yes claim - less than 2 years
                    6 Yes as above
                    9 Yes as above
                    12 Yes as aboive
                    15 No - because its now 24 months since first stint (In the last 24 months its 15,8,1 - alas more than 40%
                    18 Now this is a funny one. Counting back 24 months the first stint was now gone off the radar. The start date, assuming you don't look back past 24 months is 18 months ago. So even though its more than 40% it not 24 months. The 8 month gap has made a difference :-)
                    21 - Yes As above.
                    24 - Its no again now because we definitely into 24 months again now.

Pity none of the regulars have not posted on this thread. Would have expected some abuse by now. Maybe because I have a point that its not as clear cut as it seems.

Comment

Of course, if you decide to pay expenses back because of something like this, then 80% goes to profits, 20% to CT. Out of the 80% profit, of course, theres the 7.5% (minimum) on top so pretty much looking 27.5% of any expenses that get paid back in this way.

In my case, 5 months so far. And current plan (if staying at client) was another 4 months (but then having to stop because of extension up to 24 months. Estimate about £5000 in expenses so looking at an out of pocket cost of around £1350-£1400.

Small change for some of you I'm sure! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X