• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is convicted ex accountant Darren Upton practicing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Has anyone phoned up and asked?
    Good idea. You want the number? 0113 282 6542 HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Quite agree. Since D*R held 50% of the FB shares at incorporation, was a person of significant control but not a company officer. Then IMHO, the other shareholders would have done serious due diligence before agreeing to a business relationship in the first place. Naturally, DJU being a plausible looking fraudster, may have produced all kinds of glowing references. Or they were all mates anyway. Perhaps.
    Has anyone phoned up and asked?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    If I were a FB client, I would be asking them if DR and DU are the same person. If I didn't get a categorical "No they are not", I would be taking my business elsewhere ASAP, as, if they are (and I believe they are), the major shareholders certainly knew who he was as they provided an employment history while DU was in prison.

As a Dynamo client, I am reasonably happy that if DU and DR are the same person that Dynamo were very unlikely to have known this was the case, so, whilst I will be reviewing my accountancy requirements shortly, I don't see this as a reason to leave at present.
    Quite agree. Since D*R held 50% of the FB shares at incorporation, was a person of significant control but not a company officer. Then IMHO, the other shareholders would have done serious due diligence before agreeing to a business relationship in the first place. Naturally, DJU being a plausible looking fraudster, may have produced all kinds of glowing references. Or they were all mates anyway. Perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by worriedtony View Post
    Hi, just signed up after reading this, as I'm wondering what advise you'd all give to a current FB client?
    If I were a FB client, I would be asking them if DR and DU are the same person. If I didn't get a categorical "No they are not", I would be taking my business elsewhere ASAP, as, if they are (and I believe they are), the major shareholders certainly knew who he was as they provided an employment history while DU was in prison.

As a Dynamo client, I am reasonably happy that if DU and DR are the same person that Dynamo were very unlikely to have known this was the case, so, whilst I will be reviewing my accountancy requirements shortly, I don't see this as a reason to leave at present.

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Corporation Tax Authorisation

Also, just for clarity, if your registered office is at your accountants (i'd probably say most companies are) then their authorisation for corporation tax is almost automatic. The authorisation code for corporation tax is sent to the registered office, therefore, this is by default going to the accountants anyway. I wouldn't say this is an issue as all the actions I believe Darren took last time could be done without authorisation anyway so doesn't prevent anything.

I would say, double check where you are paying taxes to and get yourself an online account so you can check submissions/payments yourself.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    It's also worth setting up a watch with Companies House on your own account so that you get an alert whenever anything gets filed there.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    For all those who hand over everything go agents/accountants, do you still have access to your online HMRC account?

This will always give you your full position with HMRC, payments, refunds etc

Last edited by SimonMac; 20 March 2019, 09:51.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Back when it all kicked off with Darren Upton, my other half phoned the police to find out what was going on.

They told her that Darren was giving out his own bank account details (or his companies) and telling them that they were HMRC's new details for tax payments.

So as well as the above - never use bank details given to you by a 3rd party without verifying them first.

Leave a comment:

• worriedtony
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Sorry, that's not enough.

Check Companies House to make sure your annual return has been filed properly.

Check your online account with HMRC to confirm your Corporation Tax return is filed timely AND that it matches the CT return which you were given and signed. If it should show less tax due, and a refund being claimed when you claimed none, contact HMRC immediately.

Even with an accountant you trust, verify everything.

But to be clear, you don't have to give access to your bank account to have a problem. If your 'agent' (accountant) tells you to pay X, and you pay it, and then files a return showing Y is due, and claims a refund from HMRC (because you 'overpaid') and they pay that refund in a way that he can access it, you've got a mess. When the truth comes out they'll want their money back.

If you want to be really safe, I suppose you could not authorise your accountant as your agent, pay him to prepare your returns, and file them yourself. But you're probably ok if you verify everything, and let him know that's your policy. If you get a crooked accountant he'll target someone who won't catch it for a while rather than the guy who will catch it within a week or two.
    Thanks all! Great advice.
    I hadn't given direct access to bank accounts and had been verifying most things, but hadn't thought about the refund aspect, so this is really helpful!
    Also, good point about trust!
    Thanks very much everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Invisiblehand
    replied
    Originally posted by worriedtony View Post
    Hi, just signed up after reading this, as I'm wondering what advise you'd all give to a current FB client?
    As the guys have already mentioned, it's all about trust. You need to ask yourself whether you have enough trust in FB acting in your best interests.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X