• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is convicted ex accountant Darren Upton practicing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cojak
    replied
    Or even just contacting them separately.

I did consider that it might have been a scam before letting it through, but a quick check showed that there is a URL with that name.

Justice.gov.uk

I expect people here to perform their due diligence - we tell them often enough...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by velcro View Post
    Fair enough. I'd still be cautious before giving any bank details though, to be on the safe side.
    Just get them to send a cheque then. Or tell them you'll pop in - got to be worth the journey given the sum involved?

Leave a comment:

• velcro
    replied
    Fair enough. I'd still be cautious before giving any bank details though, to be on the safe side.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The salient part is "if" - how to be sure that it is a real gov dept. Although a cursory google does show that justice.gov.uk is a valid domain name for that dept of the government.
    If there is a gov.uk domain that isn't a proper Government department or local council there are far bigger issues to worry about. I know National Parks and other Quangos that don't pass the criteria for getting one ands if there is a problem they can literally be taken down in 10 minutes once the correct people are notified.

If the email address is @department.gov.uk it will be safe and that justice address looks 100% correct for the distribution of proceedings of crime from a case in West Yorkshire.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

If it’s from a government department then it’s not a scam
    The salient part is "if" - how to be sure that it is a real gov dept. Although a cursory google does show that justice.gov.uk is a valid domain name for that dept of the government.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by velcro View Post
    I get calls from people at HMRC with stories like that. They are all scams. I would beware contacting that email address!

Mods??
    If it’s from a government department then it’s not a scam

Leave a comment:

• velcro
    replied
    I get calls from people at HMRC with stories like that. They are all scams. I would beware contacting that email address!

Mods??

Leave a comment:

• VDB74
    replied
    I was contacted last week by the HMRC confiscation unit to advise that that was a chunk of money waiting for me.
    The chap I spoke to advised that there was money allocated to a number of victims available, but as some of the victims had closed their companies/changed their addresses he was struggling to find them to return the monies.

If anyone here is affected email [email protected]. Reference 'Darren Upton' Case.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    I do think does Darren still read this forum?

Or more to the point who is his sockie?
    He strikes me as a fairly vain individual from what I have seen in the media. I would think it pretty likely he looks in from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    I do think does Darren still read this forum?

Or more to the point who is his sockie?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X