• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is convicted ex accountant Darren Upton practicing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Remind me what he was convicted of?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Indeed, that's exactly what I believed to be the case. Question is then, who would give any business to him now? I sort of guessed he'd be better off retraining as a brick layer, plasterer or something. (Article in the media today about brickies in Manchester earning over £600 per day).
    There will always be someone who doesn't do their research, or falls for a slick sales pitch, or is simply too greedy to have any common sense.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Nope, you can call yourself an Accountant with no qualifications whatsoever. To be a Chartered Accountant you do need to be a member of the ICAEW or equivalent for the other home nations. Darren was kicked out of every professional UK accountancy association in the run up to his conviction.
    Indeed, that's exactly what I believed to be the case. Question is then, who would give any business to him now? I sort of guessed he'd be better off retraining as a brick layer, plasterer or something. (Article in the media today about brickies in Manchester earning over £600 per day).

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

As "Darren Upton"? If I remember correctly, I thought he had been struck off by his professional accounting body. Perhaps you can still call yourself an accountant despite being struck off the register? (As far as I know, you don't need any actual qualifications to call yourself an accountant - Chartered Accountant title or similar is however, legally protected). Might be different with accountants, but I doubt that a doctor could still call him/herself a doctor if he/she had been struck off the professional register?
    Nope, you can call yourself an Accountant with no qualifications whatsoever. To be a Chartered Accountant you do need to be a member of the ICAEW or equivalent for the other home nations. Darren was kicked out of every professional UK accountancy association in the run up to his conviction.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Now a 'self employed accountant' on Linked in.
    As "Darren Upton"? If I remember correctly, I thought he had been struck off by his professional accounting body. Perhaps you can still call yourself an accountant despite being struck off the register? (As far as I know, you don't need any actual qualifications to call yourself an accountant - Chartered Accountant title or similar is however, legally protected). Might be different with accountants, but I doubt that a doctor could still call him/herself a doctor if he/she had been struck off the professional register?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    He's missed a trick not setting up as an "umbrella" company at the moment. I doubt he would make a top 50 list of dodgy ones..

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I've asked on the x-gov community to see if it's a genuine mailbox
    It is the address quoted on Gov.UK for the Ministry of Justice, so should be kosher...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Or even just contacting them separately.

I did consider that it might have been a scam before letting it through, but a quick check showed that there is a URL with that name.

Justice.gov.uk

I expect people here to perform their due diligence - we tell them often enough...
    I've asked on the x-gov community to see if it's a genuine mailbox

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The salient part is "if" - how to be sure that it is a real gov dept. Although a cursory google does show that justice.gov.uk is a valid domain name for that dept of the government.

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Or even just contacting them separately.

I did consider that it might have been a scam before letting it through, but a quick check showed that there is a URL with that name.

Justice.gov.uk

I expect people here to perform their due diligence - we tell them often enough...
    You should be fine emailing a gov.uk address, always check if you get an email from a gov.uk address

Leave a comment:

Working...
X