• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is convicted ex accountant Darren Upton practicing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• malvolio
    replied
    More likely he doesn't want to play with people who doubt his word and are making unfounded accusations. I know I wouldn't

Meanwhile we have lost a good source of free advice.

Leave a comment:

• Invisiblehand
    replied
    I just have no idea why he hasn't come to defend his name. There was one post ages ago about sour grapes which was a really poor excuse.

There's rarely smoke without fire...

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    I love these kind of threads! It's what boards are for.

I particularly liked the 'I have no proof but....' line.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
    He used to post all the time and seemed to be picking up some good business from it.

He seemed to stop as soon as this allegation was made which does not look good at all. Whether or not it is harming his current busines you would have thought he'd want to put the record straight.
    You'd think Admin would want to close or delete this thread, but there you go.

Leave a comment:

• Invisiblehand
    replied
    He used to post all the time and seemed to be picking up some good business from it.

He seemed to stop as soon as this allegation was made which does not look good at all. Whether or not it is harming his current busines you would have thought he'd want to put the record straight.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Fact: It's not libel if it is true.

Also fact: The burden of proof in English law for libel cases is on the defendant. In other words, if you publish a defamatory statement you'd better be able to prove it is true.

Also fact: Nigel has made a statement which could be damaging to the business of the person involved, and has said he can't prove it. That means he would lose a libel case unless he were later able to come up with evidence that the statement is, in fact, true.

Worth considering: CUK has allowed a statement to be made on their site which, on its face, would appear to be libel (since the person making it has said they can't prove it). They have not taken it down. The subject of the statement could request that they take it down (if it is not true and he can prove it), and they would have to remove it. Therefore, the subject of the statement has not made such a request.

My conclusion: Darren Roberts either is Darren Upton or he doesn't know about the allegation (but he's stopped posting here) or he doesn't care enough about the allegation to take action to make CUK take the allegation down (in which case it must not really be hurting his business).

I also note that he was at Dynamo, who claim to be "fully accredited accountancy affiliates" of IPSE. If they had Darren Upton on staff they owe IPSE an explanation and IPSE could legitimately be asking them the same question this thread has asked. Seems they value their relationship with IPSE and hiring Mr Upton would likely have been seen as jeopardising that relationship. So seems doubtful they'd have done that.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Nigel Miller View Post
    I know this is my first post and you have no reason to believe me but I had a meeting with Darren Roberts last week - it's Darren Upton.

I can't provide any proof but there's a reason his LinkedIn page shows a cartoon and despite him being the boss he's not listed as a director at present. I didn't ask about his train set.
    It's not libel if it's true.

Nigel Miller has missed the point, and doesn't understand libel.

Sue me...
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 26 February 2019, 13:42. Reason: prof forums = prof language

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    But you have to be able to prove it.

Has it crossed your mind to look at his LinkedIn profile? Got a 25 year employment history on there. Of course, he could have made it all up...

Leave a comment:

• Nigel Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Hi Nigel,
    I know this is your first post but you might want to consider..
    - libel laws
    - public forums in the context of libel laws
    - evidence to prove assertions
    - ability to use anonymous posting on a forum that allows it

That’s all.
    HTH

Lance.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    I didn't say he had not.
    You didn’t. My mistake - sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X