• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is convicted ex accountant Darren Upton practicing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    This thread is more worrying than satisfying. Mr Upton stole 500k of client money and stole a further 1.1 million from his currency scheme investors. By law he can't be in control of a company/director/significant person until 2027. Isn't it time Dynamo and Fox-Bartfield said something? This could end up being a matter for the police.
    Given Hentons and FB responses I’d imagine it’s already a matter for the police

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    It's a little more than curiosity. A sense of justice perhaps? One doesn't want to see him perpetrate the same fraud again, and it looks like he was working towards that being possible, whether that was his intent or not.

It's true we've been set a nice little puzzle to solve, which does appeal to geeks. I wouldn't call it mere curiosity, but the challenge does appeal to our abilities.

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    This thread is more worrying than satisfying. Mr Upton stole 500k of client money and stole a further 1.1 million from his currency scheme investors. By law he can't be in control of a company/director/significant person until 2027. Isn't it time Dynamo and Fox-Bartfield said something? This could end up being a matter for the police.
    It depends on what you want out of an Internet thread. If you wanted it to change the realities, that can't be done. All it can do is pool some research together to expose something. I think that's been done.

There's sufficient here to ask the police to look at it. We've gone from a vague coincidence (same first name, same birth month) to a very strong physical likeness and too many coincidences to ignore. We've identified probable law-breaking (50% ownership of a start-up) and possible law-breaking (perhaps use of false ID, perhaps violated terms of licence). There appears to have been a pattern of deceit towards the contracting community (including disingenuous comments when this began to come to light), which may indicate (given the history) there was a conspiracy to commit fraud. It's all here if someone wants to boil it down and send off a dossier to the police.

Dynamo says legal action keeps them from commenting on whether DJR is DJU. If they knew he wasn't DJU they could confirm that for a client. So they are in a legal action involving this very question. Doesn't that tell you enough?

If F-B knew he wasn't DJU they could say so. Either he pulled the wool over their eyes and they don't want to admit it or they knew all along, likely the latter. If they knew, they aren't going to admit it now.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Flippin' heck!

Never incur the wrath/curiosity/nosiness of IT geeks!

I hope Bagpuss gets a little bit of satisfaction back...

Leave a comment:

• Invisiblehand
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Seriously, my last word today. I am very grateful indeed for CUK facilitating this kind of community led initiative. It's likely one of the best things that's ever happened on CUK. I've been here quite sometime and it's the best I've seen. A very great public service has been done here. Thanks CUK and all the contributors, I'm convinced anyway.
    Hear hear.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    However, a bit more searching would conclusively nail it. Quite likely that a professional would be registered to one of the professional bodies at some time while practising and there won't be many D*Rs registered who were born in Dec 1971. Will there?
    I doubt we can really conclusively nail it. DJR does not claim to ever have been registered with a professional body, does he?

But the picture paints a thousand words, doesn't it? Then so many other things line up with this.

Dynamo/Henton could nail this down for us one way or another, but won't because of legal action. That tells a story, too.

Fox-Bartfield could nail it down for us but if they were going to they would have by now. Maybe they aren't talking because they're in a legal fight, too, or maybe because they knew all along and now they've been caught out and are just trying to ride the storm out.

DJR himself could provide a birth certificate and end the whole thing and he hasn't done so. That also, IMO, tells a story.

In all likelihood the only ones that could really clear it up for us definitively are the police or the Daily Mail. The DM could follow the guy around and dig places we probably can't dig, and perhaps prove the case. I don't really have an appetite for that because I don't know that they'd be honest and I don't know that he was trying to defraud anyone this time, he might have just been trying to rebuild his life.

That leaves the police. If he broke his ban when F-B was set up (seems highly likely), that's something they should be interested in. If he used false ID, that should be of interest to them. If he violated the terms of his licence (possible, I can't find those terms anywhere), that would be of interest.

And if he's done none of those things, they aren't going to tell us anything, even if it is DJU.

So all that said, I think it should go to the police. And if he's broken the law, they should deal with it. And if not, presumably the legal case with Dynamo will play out and we might learn something there eventually. Until then, since there's legal action going on in at least one place, maybe it's time for me to drop out of the discussion.

But if anyone asked my advice about using Darren Roberts or F-B as their accountant, I'd be showing them those pictures and saying, 'And there's a lot more that makes the case about more than just physical resemblance.'

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Seriously, my last word today. I am very grateful indeed for CUK facilitating this kind of community led initiative. It's likely one of the best things that's ever happened on CUK. I've been here quite sometime and it's the best I've seen. A very great public service has been done here. Thanks CUK and all the contributors, I'm convinced anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    LOL. I'm glad to endorse your sig line for you today!

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Yes, WiB, I'm sorry, it's been a very long day down here.
    LOL. I'm glad to endorse your sig line for you today!

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    There was a Darren James Roberts in the key quarter in question.

There were two Darren James Roberts in the next quarter, and two Darren John Roberts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X