• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will LinkedIn recommendation affect my IR35 status?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    IR35 is dead, forget about it.
    For now....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bob2 View Post
      I am an independent contractor working through a limited company and have recently completed a contract for a client.
      One of the client's employees has kindly written a recommendation for me on LinkedIn. The recommendation is very complimentary but it refers to me as a "respected colleague" which concerns me. Could this affect my status as an independent contractor working outside of IR35?
      Did you talk about the weather in the staff kitchen too ? in fact did you use any of the staff facilities on site then im sorry but in order to KEEP out side of IR35 and keep your status as a real independent contractor you can not engage in any activity that permanent works would normally do or use any on site facilities ie hold it till your off site do not use the staff toilets! and always have one of the permanent members of staff make you a coffee, make it clear that you can not under any terms can make your own coffee using staff facilities as it would affect your TAX status ! make that bit well known to all of your so called "colleague".

You need to keep clear line between them and you, you are different from them you are not just one of the team you ARE independent its a hard life but that's the way it has to be purely for tax purposes.

ps act like that and no one would ever use the words "respected colleague" again to describe you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        For now....
        I think the dividend tax is the replacement.

Comment

I can imagine dividend tax increasing as a balance to them conceding on the T&S expenses side of things.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Indeed, it might be delayed till after the next election but dividend tax will have the effect so desired for IR35 pretty soon.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Hmm. I hope not. Guess we are going to have to wait and see.

so desired for IR35 pretty soon
              Yeah but that desire is so badly misplaced it's the wrong tool for the wrong desire.... They want us all to be inside. This simply isn't the case so a one size captures everyone simply can't be the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Indeed, it might be delayed till after the next election but dividend tax will have the effect so desired for IR35 pretty soon.
                Thought it was in place now?

Comment

Originally posted by sharky View Post
                  Did you talk about the weather in the staff kitchen too ? in fact did you use any of the staff facilities on site then im sorry but in order to KEEP out side of IR35 and keep your status as a real independent contractor you can not engage in any activity that permanent works would normally do or use any on site facilities ie hold it till your off site do not use the staff toilets! and always have one of the permanent members of staff make you a coffee, make it clear that you can not under any terms can make your own coffee using staff facilities as it would affect your TAX status ! make that bit well known to all of your so called "colleague".

You need to keep clear line between them and you, you are different from them you are not just one of the team you ARE independent its a hard life but that's the way it has to be purely for tax purposes.

ps act like that and no one would ever use the words "respected colleague" again to describe you.
                  Erm......

Comment

Comment

Yes it is, but @ 7.5% it is only partially an IR35 replacement. When the divi tax is equivalent to NIC's then IR35 becomes redundant and can be repealed. At a stroke a whole industry disappears too, IPSE, QDOS, and others all will become irrelevant.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X