• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official I Don't Use An Accountant Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last couple of clients I had with mortgage apps at HBOS and (I think) Virgin didn't even ask for accounts. Just sa302 forms. It does present a problem if there's reserves though and you need lending to be based on profit rather than dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      . My accounts are the former. The extra I pay for my cleaner to do the house in only her underwear is the latter (occasionally).
      Can you give me the telephone number of your cleaner please ?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        She does all that on top of doing an OU course, lookin hot and drinking us under the table at a CUK do? She's a keeper that one!
        She says she likes you
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I don't use an accountant. I did, but once I got past the initial round of questions it seemed I was doing most the work anyway. Then I went permie, but wanted to keep the company going and paying an accountant would have wiped out the trickle of money that it was earning so learned to do it myself, though not being on PAYE or VAT made it simple. Now I'm a contractor again I'm doing everything and it's certainly some effort and the end of year stuff was a bit headachey, but I think I'd rather keep the £1000 or so per year.

I use SJD's spreadsheet and Payroo for PAYE, both of which are free. I was seriously looking at FreeAgent but I was appalled to discover it doesn't do end of year accounts. I can't believe there are people paying for that service and having to pay an accountant on top.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I don't use an accountant. I did, but once I got past the initial round of questions it seemed I was doing most the work anyway. Then I went permie, but wanted to keep the company going and paying an accountant would have wiped out the trickle of money that it was earning so learned to do it myself, though not being on PAYE or VAT made it simple. Now I'm a contractor again I'm doing everything and it's certainly some effort and the end of year stuff was a bit headachey, but I think I'd rather keep the £1000 or so per year.

I use SJD's spreadsheet and Payroo for PAYE, both of which are free. I was seriously looking at FreeAgent but I was appalled to discover it doesn't do end of year accounts. I can't believe there are people paying for that service and having to pay an accountant on top.
            Take a look at DIY Accounting Software, Small Business, Payslip Software, Tax Return, Limited Company UK, I pay £45 a year for everything
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I do my own accounts - but I am MAAT qualified and used to do accounts for a living. So I do my own - takes me about half a day every year, because I do my book-keeping ongoing. Mostly I still do it because I actually enjoy it. Yes, I know - freak

I have been asked a couple of times for accounts signed off by my accountant - last time when I bought my house. I took in three years' accounts, bank statements, SA302s and a copy of my qualifications and all was well. But yes, people do ask, and it could be a problem.

I nevertheless have a tax adviser - every year (or ad hoc as needed) I throw my plans at him and he gives me a second opinion. Mainly because when I used to do this regularly, self assessment had not quite come in, and Noah's ark was still afloat.

Comment

I don't use an accountant since opened a new LTD this year.
                Using the well-known online system for the bookkeeping. £340 per year.
                Did not decide on the accounts yet (CT600). Maybe will pay £100 to compile and file it.

Feel myself much more happier than before when I did not understand for what I paid to an accountancy.
                So far I paid to the accountancy around £10K

Comment

Originally posted by FK1 View Post
                  Did not decide on the accounts yet (CT600). Maybe will pay £100 to compile and file it.

Feel myself much more happier than before when I did not understand for what I paid to an accountancy.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FK1 View Post

I hope that your self-accounting method is more lucid than your use of English, and more accurate?
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                      I hope that your self-accounting method is more lucid than your use of English, and more accurate?
                      Everyone has to learn somewhere, obviously gaining experience from their mistakes along the way.

Hopefully this learning exercise won't involve a custodial sentence
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X