• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Out of pocket expenses timing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of pocket expenses timing

A quick question: As a director, is it possible and legitimate to defer claiming out of pocket expenses for a month or so? I want to maximise profit before April in order to pay max dividends possible as I am under my dividends allowance for this tax year.

This help?

How contractors should process contracting expenses

I'd suggest speaking to your accountant as there maybe other options available to you that you are not aware of.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 February 2016, 15:56.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My understanding is that it's the date the expenses were incurred that matters, not the date they are repaid. Read up on - or ask your accountant about - 'accruals'.

Comment

Originally posted by matzie View Post
        My understanding is that it's the date the expenses were incurred that matters, not the date they are repaid. Read up on - or ask your accountant about - 'accruals'.
        I'm a bit of a novice with accounts but have been told that dividends can only be paid from profits. If I hold off claiming my expenses until after the dividend then this affects my 'apparent' profits at the point the divi is paid?

Comment

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
          I'm a bit of a novice with accounts but have been told that dividends can only be paid from profits. If I hold off claiming my expenses until after the dividend then this affects my 'apparent' profits at the point the divi is paid?
          And at that point you should be picking the phone up to your accountant and asking them.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And at that point you should be picking the phone up to your accountant and asking them.
            If everyone did that most of this forum wouldn't exist.. you'd have to get a new hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
              A quick question: As a director, is it possible and legitimate to defer claiming out of pocket expenses for a month or so? I want to maximise profit before April in order to pay max dividends possible as I am under my dividends allowance for this tax year.
              Sort of.

It is entirely up to you when you claim and pay your expenses. Though if they are excessively old then your accountant may be querying etc....

However, to expand on matzies point the accounts should be prepared to certain standards (that doesn't mean they are all the same but the polices adopted should be consistent). They should also paint a "full and fair" picture.

So the question is how you generally deal with accrued, but not yet formally known liabilities. Generally this is by accruing the costs and adjusting.

Thus if you have a couple of grands worth of expenses in the pipeline these should be shown as an accrual in the accounts.

You might want to chat to your accountants. Or you might want to just forget to claim them for a while.

Also....

Don't forget that work in progress has a value and should be accounted for as an accrued income. So, if it just so happens that you have some work done but not invoiced for say £5,000 that can (and should) be shown as income.

Accounts should always be prepared on an accrual basis not a cash received basis.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Don't forget that work in progress has a value and should be accounted for as an accrued income. So, if it just so happens that you have some work done but not invoiced for say £5,000 that can (and should) be shown as income.

Accounts should always be prepared on an accrual basis not a cash received basis.
                The value of the work in progress is debatable, though.

One view is that it should be accrued at the invoice value. The other view is that, if it hasn't been invoiced yet, it should be accrued at the cost value. If you are going to use a value for work in progress to determine your dividend, you'd best run this one by your accountant. It can make a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  The value of the work in progress is debatable, though.

One view is that it should be accrued at the invoice value. The other view is that, if it hasn't been invoiced yet, it should be accrued at the cost value. If you are going to use a value for work in progress to determine your dividend, you'd best run this one by your accountant. It can make a big difference.
                  Well the cost of sales should be accrued at the cost expended (which in this sort of contracting business is likely to be modest - expenses plus salary). The revenue should be accrued at the anticipated realisable value base on the percentage completed. There is an accounting standard to this effect which should normally be adopted.

However, as always, it is not that simple. Perhaps it is a "problem customer" who has a habit of not paying etc, this needs to be factored in.

Equally given the way most operate it is probably nor particularly material anyway. But it was for me and the way I operated. Multiple fixed price contracts invoiced on completion was often the case for me.

HMRC take on it is here

BIM33165 - Stock: valuation: professional work-in-progress: general principles

Comment

Interesting stuff - thanks for the answers! Sounds like there is nothing stopping me from from failing to lodge the expense claims until the following month. I wonder how far backdated one could reasonably go?

Comment

Working...
                    X