• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No water at client's site?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Rights? Eh? You're a contractor. You have the right to turn up and get paid. You also have the right to not turn up and not get paid.
    Trust you to make it so complicated
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by stuballs View Post

The water has gone at my client's site (burst pipe) - do I have any HSE rights?
      The actual issue aside.... Get the idea you have any rights like a permie right out of your head. You are a contractor and have many different options to take. Fall back on employment rights is not one of them. You are a contractor supplying services to a client and you need to understand this.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        You have grounds to say "sod this I'm leaving" if they don't provide toilets but that's about it surely?
        Is that true I wonder even if you don't need to, ahem, go?

Comment

Hello - first time contractor, first time poster.

There are currently, no toilets, running water, coffee (the machines are plumbed in...)...

Did you know you can take a dump without needing water?

What does it say in your contract about water/toilets/coffee?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NCOTBAC View Post
            The actual issue aside.... Get the idea you have any rights like a permie right out of your head. You are a contractor and have many different options to take. Fall back on employment rights is not one of them. You are a contractor supplying services to a client and you need to understand this.
            Elf 'n' safety applies to everyone regardless of employment status.

So if the office is 'unsafe', you should either work from home and invoice, or go home and not invoice.

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 - Section 20 and 22.

Comment

As the previous poster stated, this is a load of balls. HSE is nothing to do with being an employee, it's about running a safe workplace.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                As the previous poster stated, this is a load of balls. HSE is nothing to do with being an employee, it's about running a safe workplace.
                It isn't balls. I did state tha issue aside and talked about rights in general. Rights offered to employees do not apply too contractors as you all know. Unfair dismal etc. So what I said is correct.
                I didn't argue the power of HSE, that's a given, but he has no rights I. E. Get paid if he gets sent home which I take a guess the OP was angling at.

Comment

Hello - first time contractor, first time poster.

There are currently, no toilets, running water, coffee (the machines are plumbed in...)...
                  You're a contractor, which means you stay and BILL.

Regarding above problems:
                  1. Bring a few litres of Evian.
                  2. Continue to use the toilets until they are flowing with excrement. Use anti-bac wipes.
                  3. Bring your own Nespresso machine, top up with Evian.

I won't bill you for that advice out of the goodness of my heart.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
                    Elf 'n' safety applies to everyone regardless of employment status.

So if the office is 'unsafe', you should either work from home and invoice, or go home and not invoice.

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 - Section 20 and 22.
                    As someone who had a job years ago doing some of this tulip, this is what you do.

Health and Safety regulations cover all workers but they are the responsibility of both parties.

So no you can't sue the client if you get an illness as it's common sense to not work in a place with no running water.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It isn't balls. I did state tha issue aside and talked about rights in general. Rights offered to employees do not apply too contractors as you all know. Unfair dismal etc. So what I said is correct.
                      I didn't argue the power of HSE, that's a given, but he has no rights I. E. Get paid if he gets sent home which I take a guess the OP was angling at.
                      Are you focusing specifically on whether he's a right to get paid? Because he does have rights to a safe environment meeting all relevant laws (whether that includes toilets I've no idea).

If the client decide to send everyone home part-way through the day, I think he has grounds to bill for the day since he's given them his time and already come to site, especially if he charges a day rate rather than hourly. MOO would certainly apply if they said "don't come in tomorrow" - he can't bill - but I'm not sure how MOO applies (or not) once you've already come in for the day?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X