• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor - 2 + years? Holiday entitlement?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I normally avoid getting involved in this specific conversation, however, I have something to add, which might throw another direction of thought.

I was engaged as a Contractor, to a very larger American Corporation in the UK, through an agency, on an Employed Consultant basis. After I had been there two years, I was informed that I was entitled to 33 days full pay for holidays, plus 10 days sick pay. Prior to that I got 26 days fully paid holidays. Effectively a zero days contract, PAYE, but at Contractor's rates.

Room for thought?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      I normally avoid getting involved in this specific conversation, however, I have something to add, which might throw another direction of thought.

I was engaged as a Contractor, to a very larger American Corporation in the UK, through an agency, on an Employed Consultant basis. After I had been there two years, I was informed that I was entitled to 33 days full pay for holidays, plus 10 days sick pay. Prior to that I got 26 days fully paid holidays. Effectively a zero days contract, PAYE, but at Contractor's rates.

Room for thought?
      Yeah, it gives me some thoughts.

1. Get American clients.
      2. Work your butt off to keep them.
      3. Never use those sick days unless you absolutely have to, and then you'll never have hassle when you do have to use them.

Who knows? An American client might even send an unexpected Christmas bonus your way.

Comment

Originally posted by jdotr View Post
        Ok - Fair point about paying me for not working haha!

I prefer to stay as a contractor due to the flexibility on moving between contracts to gain experience Well until i find a organisation which can offer its staff progression within the organisation (For those staff who show commitment/provide ideas and like to get involved obviously).
        From my experience as a contractor and worked for various organisations, majority of the management only really promote their 'friends' or colleagues who don't challenge their decisions or have common traits (such as smoking, gaming, gambling, alcohol and drugs.. yes drugs! )

Thanks guys.
        At 2 years + I think you need to redefine the definition of flexibility

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advise.

I am employed by an umbrella company and i have been working on the same contract for 2 years (on going extension every 6 months).

As everyone is aware, i cant claim my expenses (mileage and sustenance as i am still at the same location).

However i have a question related to holiday entitlement. As i have been working on the same contract for 2 years can i have the same benefits in terms of holidays as permanent staff? Currently i dont get paid for any holidays i take (including bank holidays/Christmas period etc)

When my contract was up for re-newel i handed in my 1 weeks notice as financially it wasn't worth working at the location as i wasn't able to mileage etc . They offered to increase my salary to compensate for the tax increase which i agreed to . 1 of the consultants who also works as a contractor advised me to speak to them regarding holiday entitlement as he said i may be in the position to get paid for my holidays.

Any advise would be great!

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and i hope you have a happy new year!!
          ADVICE!!!!!!
          Blood in your poo

Comment

From my experience as a contractor and worked for various organisations, majority of the management only really promote their 'friends' or colleagues who don't challenge their decisions or have common traits (such as smoking, gaming, gambling, alcohol and drugs.. yes drugs! )

Thanks guys.
            Maybe you should try harder to fit in?
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              No need to be rude.

It normally works like this -
              You -> limited/umbrella -> agency -> client

Therefore if you want a rate rise or a renewal you have to go through the agency.

Sometimes it works like this -
              You -> limited/umbrella -> client

Therefore if you want a rate rise or a renewal you ask the client.

Then there are scenarios like this -
              You -> agency -> client
              Or this -
              You -> limited/umbrella -> agency -> client A -> client B
              etc

There is no way of us knowing unless you explicitly state it whether your situation is the first, the second or some other form.

Hi all,

Thank you for your advice.. Sorry i found his comment rude. So i tried to give him his own medicine

My employment is currently like this : You -> limited/umbrella -> agency -> client.

I have recently been offered to work as a permanent employee on a government contract which i may consider. Which leads me onto another question about DV/SC clearance xD

Ill create another topic.

Thank you all!!

Comment

Working...
              X