• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Accountant for IT contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I am with Gorilla but i dont see why you need to change. InTouch are a good setup do shouldn't need to be changing. Maybe if you step up a bit and stop being a drain on their resources they might start treating you like normal again. That said I am sure InTouch isn't speaking to you because you ask too many questions.

But you've got to step-up. You shouldn't be asking them a raft of stupid questions that are already explained in guides and the like. We have a newbie section here, every question you can possibly think of will have been asked in the forums so use the search option as described in the FAQ section and use Google. You are legally responsible for your finances so time to pull your finger out.
    For your information, I only asked questions that weren't in the guides that they sent me as I read all of them. I have also looked on FAQ section and was asking my accountant on questions more specific to me and my situation. You shouldn't assume that everyone ask stupid questions just because they ask a lot of questions...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaych View Post
      For your information, I only asked questions that weren't in the guides that they sent me as I read all of them. I have also looked on FAQ section and was asking my accountant on questions more specific to me and my situation. You shouldn't assume that everyone ask stupid questions just because they ask a lot of questions...
      Thinking your accountant isn't speaking to you because you ask too many questions kinda lead me to that assumption. Doesn't normally happen but apologies for getting it wrong.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thinking your accountant isn't speaking to you because you ask too many questions kinda lead me to that assumption. Doesn't normally happen but apologies for getting it wrong.
        In my book there is no such thing as a stupid question when a client is paying their hard earned £££ for your services. (not suggesting these were btw) Also those guides in theory are great but how many clients actually read them (as much as we would love it!)

Comment

I'm also with InTouch and despite asking them quite a few questions, they haven't abandoned me yet

As far as recommendations go...it's only been 2 months and they seem good so far

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
            Looking for an accountant, and based on feedback here I looked at a couple of the usuals...

Gorilla - went to their website to have a look around, and got the popup asking if I needed anything. Decided I wanted to talk to someone to ask a few questions, so passed on my contact details. Was told I'd get a call back ... and not heard from them for a few days now.

Maslins - went to their website to have a look around, then called them up. A nice lady answered all my questions. Looks like they may have themselves a new client soon !
            In the interest of fairness, I have now spoke to Gorilla and it went well - they certainly top the list based on their responses. So, at the moment I'd be inclined to go with them.

But ... I'm also going to speak to a local accountant, primarily because they use FreeAgent and secondly because they are local. I know it's perfectly reasonable to use an accountant at the other end of the country, as you never have to see them. But my wife runs a business that relies 100% on local trade, so I like to support local businesses where it makes sense.

Comment

I got screwed over by a local one man band. He just wasn't set up to handle contractors. I'm all for supporting local business but that is only a consideration if they offer the perfect service. This person will be handling accounting for 100s of K of your money. Get the right service first, supporting local business second.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I got screwed over by a local one man band. He just wasn't set up to handle contractors. I'm all for supporting local business but that is only a consideration if they offer the perfect service. This person will be handling accounting for 100s of K of your money. Get the right service first, supporting local business second.
                Agreed, hence "I like to support local businesses where it makes sense".

Comment

Is it just me being unlucky with my accountant at Intouch? I don't hear from my accountant at all and I have ever only spoken to her once on the phone. She promised to call me twice before on other issues but never did. Losing faith a little bit. Don't know how to choose an accountant. I chose them because they seem to have good reviews here

I don't need a local accountant. I just want a portal to upload all my expenses and invoices etc and someone to take care of all returns for me. Just like intouch does but with a more responsive accountant
                  Kaych, I have had a similar experiences with InTouch. I joined them as a result of recommendations on this forum, but have been pretty underwhelmed.

I have a dedicated accountant, but get occasional random emails from someone else, with no introduction or explanation. And come to think of it I probably get more marketing material from InTouch than I do quality personal contact with my accountant. While those marketing emails might cover topical subjects (e.g. budget) they don't contain any info that is particular to my circumstances, and indeed they are more targeted to non-customers.

Also, over the time I have been with them InTouch's services seem to have become ever more "automated", and that leaves me less confident that whatever I upload into their portal is being scrutinised with any degree of rigour (if at all). Indeed, when I tick a box that says something like "I think this info is ok but contact me to check" I tend not to hear anything from them.

I know nothing about InTouch's history/business, or the wider contractor accountancy market, but I get the impression of business that is trying to grow, and reduce costs, but has arguably forgotten about meeting the needs of all its customers.

Comment

Originally posted by heracles View Post
                    I have a dedicated accountant, but get occasional random emails from someone else, with no introduction or explanation. And come to think of it I probably get more marketing material from InTouch than I do quality personal contact with my accountant. While those marketing emails might cover topical subjects (e.g. budget) they don't contain any info that is particular to my circumstances, and indeed they are more targeted to non-customers.

Also, over the time I have been with them InTouch's services seem to have become ever more "automated", and that leaves me less confident that whatever I upload into their portal is being scrutinised with any degree of rigour (if at all). Indeed, when I tick a box that says something like "I think this info is ok but contact me to check" I tend not to hear anything from them.

I know nothing about InTouch's history/business, or the wider contractor accountancy market, but I get the impression of business that is trying to grow, and reduce costs, but has arguably forgotten about meeting the needs of all its customers.
                    It's a tricky one for accountancy firms to master. Clients typically do ideally want just one contact who deals with everything. However, staff need to have holidays/study, and do move to other jobs from time to time. Therefore it tends to make sense to have 2-3 people looking after each client, so there's always someone around to answer queries, and not end of world when a staff member leaves.

Newsletters can be tailored to an extent...but as an accountant it's a balancing act between:
                    - not spamming clients with info that's of no interest to them, and
                    - giving them info that may be relevant based on something they're about to do...or perhaps would be doing, but didn't realise they were able to.
                    - ok, marketing may be a bit off, but again often a fine line between spamming people with salesy messages, and letting them know of useful additional services they might like.

...and re service becoming more automated, again, I feel the accountant is "wrong" either way. It's often suggested that accountants are crap at moving with the times, relying on archaic systems, charging too much, and keeping things difficult to help maintain status quo to line our pockets...but then moving with the times generally means automating things, getting systems in place etc, and clients aren't always happy with that, as some will argue it loses the personal touch.

I'm not saying anything you've said is wrong, just saying it's not always easy getting the balance of these things right.

Comment

Agree with Chris on this. Accounting is incredibly difficult it seems to scale as the requirement to service clients (in terms of client/accountant ratio) and maintain profitability is quite pronounced. Keeping the balance can be very difficult: you're either understaffed or under profit.

Comment

Working...
                      X