• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

rainy day fund (warchest...) and house deposit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
    Interesting to read - thanks.

Thankfully my Mrs is Ast Director level in her perm job, so no immediate money worries if I go to the wall - painful, but we will cope.

We are considering a baby soon though, so potential perfect storm on the horizon!

Great point about personal assets too, I have quite a few big boy toys that I could flog if needed which will release approx 4 month maybe 6 months of money to live off - as by that point I'd be in panic mode and belt would be properly tightened.

Cheers guys, very helpful as always
    thing about selling your toys when you need to, it's always painful and you tend not to get the true value, better off selling them at your leisure....

Comment

the other thing I am doing is over paying the mortgage, with our provider for every £1 we over pay we can take a £1 payment holiday later. so the idea is that 1) we pay the mortgage off in <10 years or 2) I have some bench and can stop paying the mortgage if needed

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
        We are considering a baby soon though, so potential perfect storm on the horizon!
        Seems like someone is ahead of you on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
          the other thing I am doing is over paying the mortgage, with our provider for every £1 we over pay we can take a £1 payment holiday later. so the idea is that 1) we pay the mortgage off in <10 years or 2) I have some bench and can stop paying the mortgage if needed
          A flexible / offset mortgage is very useful for savings you hope never to need, but want to be able to access if necessary.

Comment

Working...
          X