• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPR database and its contents

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have read access through the web interface and so they have read access to the database to run reports. How they choose to use that access is up to them.

So tough luck.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
      I'm not asking for advise, I would go to a lawyer for that - I was asking if anyone had a similar experience and relate that.

'Thin ice' as someone pointed out seems to be true, that's where I am, just need to make it in my favor.

Ultimately, if they are not going to ask for consent then I am at liberty to change the tables, columns, statements etc obfuscate and screw their endeavors.

Sorry, I'm not going to post the licensing agreement or the details of it on a contractors forum.

Some of us have had issues with databases/code/design and, without the need to tell stories that take forever, would prefer to ask you questions in an effort to guide you to finding the answers.

But, based on everything you're prepared to tell us, it sounds like you are being an awkward developer who is trying to make money from a client by threatening to take their business down, rather than try to discuss the issues with them.

Not sure how (or why) anyone on here can help someone who specifically does not want to be helped by those who might be able to.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Sorry, I'm not going to post the licensing agreement or the details of it on a contractors forum.
        No apology needed. As a developer I'm sure you are aware of the concept of SISO?

Ultimately, if they are not going to ask for consent then I am at liberty to change the tables, columns, statements etc obfuscate and screw their endeavors.
        Good luck with that. It may be that they are completely entitled to be doing what they are doing and will just take you to court, on that basis.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

People ask this question of SAP. Here's a fairly comprehensive answer: Questions to SAP Support: Is ODBC access to the... | SCN

This bit is probably most cogent:
          In one sentence: "It is never - really never - recommended to grant access like this! (ODBC access)]"
          Even worse, it may be an illegal act to do so, since in most countries there exist strict laws against the abuse of data. In addition, many SAP customers need to apply business regulations like SOX or BASEL II.
          As a company you are responsible today for who can access what data when. And you will likely hold liable if you fail to do so.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            People ask this question of SAP. Here's a fairly comprehensive answer: Questions to SAP Support: Is ODBC access to the... | SCN

This bit is probably most cogent:
            In one sentence: "It is never - really never - recommended to grant access like this! (ODBC access)]"
            Even worse, it may be an illegal act to do so, since in most countries there exist strict laws against the abuse of data. In addition, many SAP customers need to apply business regulations like SOX or BASEL II.
            As a company you are responsible today for who can access what data when. And you will likely hold liable if you fail to do so.
            The difference there is the fact that they have this clearly written into their agreement. With SAP you invalidate your support contract, if you access the Netweaver database directly.

Obviously, thats if you can work out what you are looking at with its numerical / German names for the columns and tables.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              The difference there is the fact that they have this clearly written into their agreement. With SAP you invalidate your support contract, if you access the Netweaver database directly.

Obviously, thats if you can work out what you are looking at with its numerical / German names for the columns and tables.

But there's a bit of a difference between viewing/extracting data from the database and updating it (in terms of risk from breaking the software).

Also, since we don't know what the database is, what the agreement is, or what the client is doing, it's hard to know what this guy is on about.

...of course it will be interesting that should he choose to deliberately try to prevent them from accessing their data, he could find himself in a lot of hot water.

Comment

But there's a bit of a difference between viewing/extracting data from the database and updating it (in terms of risk from breaking the software).
                True.
                However with SAP, this included just viewing / extracting, I suspect this is due to potential performance issues.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

True.
                  However with SAP, this included just viewing / extracting, I suspect this is due to potential performance issues.

If that's true, then I'd guess the Data Browser is restricted to certain users. I remember being sent on a crash course in ABAP at their facility in Feltham and was happy to see how easy report writing was - that you could let end users write their own reports.

The stuff I work with isn't as friendly as that - but I don't think in all my years of working with it that I've ever questioned the idea of accessing the tables directly. (thankfully currently ClientCo is on Oracle in the UK , but MS on one of their other instances )

Comment

If that's true, then I'd guess the Data Browser is restricted to certain users.
                    Its the accessing directly part that is key. If I use SAPs own tools to extract or view the data, no problem. If I hooked up an ODBC connection and even connected SAP Business Objects, directly, then there would be an issue.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Its the accessing directly part that is key. If I use SAPs own tools to extract or view the data, no problem. If I hooked up an ODBC connection and even connected SAP Business Objects, directly, then there would be an issue.

Ah, shows how little I know about SAP. the Data Browser within this system is just like an ODBC connection and allows joins over tables, but I prefer to run Oracle SQL Developer - faster response and easier to extract - as long as you know the tables!

Comment

Working...
                      X