• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The survey on the HMRC Consultation regarding Travel Expenses is up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    We had a survey running which has now closed which got 700 responses - if you and others would like to put something together to register your disapproval and the reasons why I'll be happy to add your comments to our consultation submission - you'll just need to do it quickly as there are only a few days before it closes. You can email me [email protected]
    I was just wondered that while Jeremy Corbyn is doing his 'man of the people' stint, with questions being put directly to the PM from the public, is it possible to craft a question that could highlight the disparity between small / big business and ask that it be re-examined? When the questions were being read out today, he was saying that he had 1000 queries on the question on mental health. I'd be pretty sure that that number could be beaten easily enough. One for the Big Group maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
      I was just wondered that while Jeremy Corbyn is doing his 'man of the people' stint, with questions being put directly to the PM from the public, is it possible to craft a question that could highlight the disparity between small / big business and ask that it be re-examined? When the questions were being read out today, he was saying that he had 1000 queries on the question on mental health. I'd be pretty sure that that number could be beaten easily enough. One for the Big Group maybe?
      Wasn't that just a one off for his first PMQ's?? If it's an ongoing thing we could give it a go
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Wasn't that just a one off for his first PMQ's?? If it's an ongoing thing we could give it a go
        Definitely worth a go, because it's supposedly being continued. However, I suspect this is a flaw in JC's plan, depending on how he intends to source these questions, because other interest groups will be thinking exactly the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Definitely worth a go, because it's supposedly being continued. However, I suspect this is a flaw in JC's plan, depending on how he intends to source these questions, because other interest groups will be thinking exactly the same thing.
          Don't suppose you know how you go about submitting a question do you?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            They could respond to the consultation directly.
            How do I do that?

Comment

Don't suppose you know how you go about submitting a question do you?
              Unfortunately not. However, re-reading his intro to PMQs:

I thought at my first PMQs, I would do it in a slightly different way... So I sent out an email to thousands of people and asked them what questions they would like to put to the prime minister and I received 40,000 replies.
              It sounds as though he's sourcing questions from a particular list, such as Labour party members perhaps. I'm not sure whether using his constituency contact would work, but I'd guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Unfortunately not. However, re-reading his intro to PMQs:

It sounds as though he's sourcing questions from a particular list, such as Labour party members perhaps. I'm not sure whether using his constituency contact would work, but I'd guess not.
                Yep that sounds about right Never mind, it was a good idea

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
                  How do I do that?
                  https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...nd-subsistence

The questions that they're looking for responses to are on p23. The email address is at the bottom of the document, and on the landing page.

Try and present your arguments in response to the questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...nd-subsistence

The questions that they're looking for responses to are on p23. The email address is at the bottom of the document, and on the landing page.

Try and present your arguments in response to the questions asked.
                    I did that May not make any difference but if lots of us do it then it just might...

Actually who am I kidding. They don't care, they just want more tax out of us. but just maybe...

Comment

The important thing is to come up with actual, identifiable cases that show that it's bad for freelancing.

Anything else is just going to be discarded as anecdotal evidence, but if you can show that you spend 30% of your turnover on travel and subsistence then they cannot argue that there is no evidence to disprove their allegation.

The more people that are prepared to put their hands up and say "this hurts my business in this specific way" the better.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X