• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE Membership on P11D

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSE Membership on P11D

I've never put it on before, but the accountant's advice this year is that it should go on.

I will ask them, but does anyone know what's changed, or have I been doing it wrong for years?

From IPSE's page

https://www.ipse.co.uk/fees-faqs

Can my company pay my membership fees?

Yes. Your company can pay the membership fees, but they will not be a deductible expense from your profits and therefore won't affect your corporation tax bill.

That was my understanding - you paid corp tax on them, but not personal taxes.

Comment

It's perfectly simple - what does your accountant say?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

FTFY

I think you're mixing your memes there.
        Last edited by mudskipper; 9 May 2015, 20:02.

Comment

I haven't put it on my P11D this year. I didn't last year or any other year, so I'm not starting now.

HMRC can query it and I'll argue it if necessary.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's not a BIK.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              It's not a BIK.
              Thanks - that's what I thought - so it shouldn't go on P11D. Will confirm with accountant as to why they think it should.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Thanks - that's what I thought - so it shouldn't go on P11D. Will confirm with accountant as to why they think it should.
                I suspect what they're asking is whether you've paid any fees to IPSE that would result in a personal BIK, which would not include the standard membership fee.

Comment

You may as well pay for this out of your own pocket.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    I suspect what they're asking is whether you've paid any fees to IPSE that would result in a personal BIK, which would not include the standard membership fee.
                    Possibly, but if so it's not clear.

The wording is:

"Any payments made to IPSE (formerly the PCG) by YourCo for your own personal subscription should be treated as private and allocated as amounts payable to employee. If the amount is included as a company expense then it will be a taxable benefit and should be included below."

I have emailed them to confirm.

Comment

Working...
                    X