• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE Membership on P11D

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just completed questionnaire on InTouch portal for P11D, and they expressly refer to IPSE (formerly PCG) needing to be included on form
    So, having not-so-much-asked-but-been-told by my Accountant, it is duly included......INKSPE - that's the Bahamas cancelled!
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
      Just completed questionnaire on InTouch portal for P11D, and they expressly refer to IPSE (formerly PCG) needing to be included on form
      So, having not-so-much-asked-but-been-told by my Accountant, it is duly included......INKSPE - that's the Bahamas cancelled!
      Perhaps you didn't read the form carefully enough; I agree that it was convoluted, but there was some additional info. above the direct question (in a "?" tab). Anyway, if that's their stance, I disagree with it and I'm comfortable with my position; there's no personal BIK associated with the normal membership fee. There might be a personal BIK associated with add-ons, such as life assurance.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Perhaps you didn't read the form carefully enough; I agree that it was convoluted, but there was some additional info. above the direct question (in a "?" tab). Anyway, if that's their stance, I disagree with it and I'm comfortable with my position; there's no personal BIK associated with the normal membership fee. There might be a personal BIK associated with add-ons, such as life assurance.
        Yes, agreed it was not necessarily clear......but, IIRC, pretty sure that last year I had not included it and my personal accountant had called and said that she felt it should be declared, and thus I did. TBH, just seems like something I am not going to argue the toss over, especially given that was advised one way - 1st world problems, eh?!
        latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          You only need the cover for the tax year after you close the company. No reason not to pay for that year in advance. If you need it after that point it's only because HMRC won't let you close the company in which case you're back to the status quo ante...

IPSE doesn't' offer life insurance, it offers discounted access to a group life insurance scheme. But apart from that, you're right, if you pay a LA premium through YourCo it should be declared, as should health care and other related stuff. Just like any employee receiving BIK services from their employer.

But the membership fee is not a BIK, never has been, never will be.
          under the membership benefits it looks like you get £5000 Life Assurance if you have the plus membership

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
            Yes, agreed it was not necessarily clear......but, IIRC, pretty sure that last year I had not included it and my personal accountant had called and said that she felt it should be declared, and thus I did. TBH, just seems like something I am not going to argue the toss over, especially given that was advised one way - 1st world problems, eh?!
            Yes, and opinions may vary. However, if there's some disagreement or uncertainty, I'd prefer it was stated upfront, i.e. it's "your call". In any case, I've made my call, and I'd be happy to stand by it as a business expense. It's worth remembering, though, that IPSE has evolved over time, and I can foresee potential BIK issues with some of the IPSE Futures offerings (add-ons, not the membership fee) so, unless you're confident in your position, including it in the P11D seems like a reasonable default.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Yes, and opinions may vary. However, if there's some disagreement or uncertainty, I'd prefer it was stated upfront, i.e. it's "your call". In any case, I've made my call, and I'd be happy to stand by it as a business expense. It's worth remembering, though, that IPSE has evolved over time, and I can foresee potential BIK issues with some of the IPSE Futures offerings (add-ons, not the membership fee) so, unless you're confident in your position, including it in the P11D seems like a reasonable default.
              I agree - I've made my decision not to declare it, and I'm happy with that.

Look on the bright side - if HMRC come calling, you can use that IPSE membership to get them to talk to HMRC instead
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Accountant confirmed that if invoice is made out to company (it is) then it doesn't need to be declared.

Comment

I never declare mine on P11D. Always put through business, with invoice in company name, but disallowed for CT purposes for reasons explained on here numerous time. If it had to go on the P11D, I'd probably just pay for it personally to avoid the hassle of having to do a P11D as it would be the only thing on there!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Accountant confirmed that if invoice is made out to company (it is) then it doesn't need to be declared.
                    Yes my Accountant said the similar, doesn't matter if you paid IPSE direct from your Co. or paid personally and claimed expense. What's important is if the membership is in my name or company's. My name meaning BIK.

I checked with IPSE as my membership card has my name on it, but they say membership's in the company name so not declaring on P11D.

Comment

Originally posted by foxes1884 View Post
                      Yes my Accountant said the similar, doesn't matter if you paid IPSE direct from your Co. or paid personally and claimed expense. What's important is if the membership is in my name or company's. My name meaning BIK.

I checked with IPSE as my membership card has my name on it, but they say membership's in the company name so not declaring on P11D.
                      Download your invoices from myIPSE - mine had the company name on.

Comment

Working...
                      X