• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds great. Will one company be able to suddenly deal with 500 cases all at once?

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Just so you are aware, we are going to appoint a tax firm to manage all of this. Two reasons:

1) NTRT doesn't have the resources to take on all the admin
    2) Also, we are not qualified to give advice. (I don't want any of you suing me )

It will mean that you pay the firm a fee and they act as your agents.

NTRT will, of course, still be overseeing the whole operation, liaising with lawyers/Counsel, issuing newsletters etc.

The fees will depend on how many people sign up. The more people the lower the individual cost.

We expect costs to be broadly similar, if not lower, than suggested in the Xmas newsletter when we did the survey.

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
      That sounds great. Will one company be able to suddenly deal with 500 cases all at once?
      Yes, we've found a company that can do what is akin to a class action.

We're also meeting our current advisors CCW to see if they can accommodate anything, although this is not their normal bag.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        We simply cannot trust HMRC

Even if they say they are willing to negotiate a settlement.

On 16 May 2007 HMRC wrote to me saying this. (Many of you will have received the same letter)

"Following advice HMRC now intends taking a number of representative cases forward for hearing at the Special Commissioners and possibly beyond to the Courts to establish the income is chargeable.

At this point I am writing to you to see if you are prepared to await and accept the decision of the Special Commissioners/Court to settle your enquiry."

A few months later they were working on BN66.

If we're not careful they will stitch us up again.
        Given their lame "fraud" argument I think HMRC are well and truly on the back foot at the moment. Now is the time to go for the jugular before they wheel out their time machine again.

Comment

There is no other viable option

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
          Given their lame "fraud" argument I think HMRC are well and truly on the back foot at the moment. Now is the time to go for the jugular before they wheel out their time machine again.
          They pressed the nuclear button the day they went retro on us and it was designed to have monumental impact. We have already tried the other avenues. This is an extremely rare ray of sunshine that has been presented to us and we must take our shot now!

Comment

From this long-term lurker and NTRT member...

Firstly, to DR and All (and that's not just NTRT, but all who post on here) THANK YOU... this forum is a really useful source of information and support at times. This latest news it great, count me in...

But, I've a couple of quick questions;
            (please note, so as to be clear about my position; I was a De Graff scheme user).

1) If my APN 'payment date' is looming (and fast!) and let's say I might (just) be able to pay it, do I pay (to save any possibility of incurring penalities)?
            2) If we do get to 'push the button' on this action (I hope so!) and things are positive over the coming months (possibly years!) will this 'action' still apply, I mean, would I ever see this 'payment' refunded?

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, and sorry, with the flurry of posts I might have missed the suggested action/direction on how to treat these questions...

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
              They pressed the nuclear button the day they went retro on us and it was designed to have monumental impact. We have already tried the other avenues. This is an extremely rare ray of sunshine that has been presented to us and we must take our shot now!
              Feels like were the rebels and getting ready to aim our torpedo down the exhaust port of the death star! So yes, lets use the force, turn off the targetting system and go for it!

I agree that if we dont act bloody fast there will be a new retro bill coming our way soon to kill off the TAA argument.

Comment

Morning all

Been ages since I last posted, but have been lurking over the years (and no longer contracting), and obvs. joined up to NTRT.

Firstly, thank you to DR, Santa etc and everyone from this forum and esp NTRT for all that has been done. We would have been totally scr3wed without them.

Secondly, I am 100% behind DR's recommendations that we proceed asap. No more waiting for HMRC to decide what they want to do. Lets push the button and start dictating terms and timeframes from our side for a change. I also do not trust them one bit. We also don't want them to suddenly sneak another bit of Time Machine hocus pocus through parliament which blocks our new "George" argument. So go go go

As an aside.

Has anyone else besides me, still not even received a CN for the DTA years they were on the scheme. Ive got the enquiry letters years back (havent checked that they are even legit), but heard nothing since, and certainly no CN with amounts etc. So I'm not sure where I stand on their target list (obvs, hoping they have misplaced my file )

And chequebook is ready with whatever NTRT require to help make this happen
                Last edited by RockTheBoat; 29 April 2015, 08:59. Reason: chequebook :)

Comment

Good questions...

These are the same questions as mine! Has anyone got a view? As per post below...

Also TOTALLY support this next phase. I am hoping someone tells me what I need to do to support this sooner rather than later.

DR, Seadog, Santa etc - I met you just over 5 years ago when I was pregnant and we sat in court together. All you NTRT are my heroes. Thank you. And my family thanks you!

Originally posted by mooren View Post
                  From this long-term lurker and NTRT member...
                  Firstly, to DR and All (and that's not just NTRT, but all who post on here) THANK YOU... this forum is a really useful source of information and support at times. This latest news it great, count me in...

(please note, so as to be clear about my position; I was a De Graff scheme user).

1) If my APN 'payment date' is looming (and fast!) and let's say I might (just) be able to pay it, do I pay (to save any possibility of incurring penalities)?
                  2) If we do get to 'push the button' on this action (I hope so!) and things are positive over the coming months (possibly years!) will this 'action' still apply, I mean, would I ever see this 'payment' refunded?

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, and sorry, with the flurry of posts I might have missed the suggested action/direction on how to treat these questions...
                  Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Regarding pushing ahead with TAA.

Have MTM been consulted on this? After all, they are currently fighting (and funding) our legal fight.

1. Could applying for TAA affect the tax support offered to us by MTM?
                    2. Since TAA effectivly puts the tax liability to MTM (of sorts) are they supportive of this course of action? or could it affect the legal work currently being pursued by them?

Comment

Originally posted by mooren View Post

1) If my APN 'payment date' is looming (and fast!) and let's say I might (just) be able to pay it, do I pay (to save any possibility of incurring penalities)? If it was me, I would. The alternative is to join a JR but this may only delay payment and there is no guarantee it would prevent the penalties.
                      2) If we do get to 'push the button' on this action (I hope so!) and things are positive over the coming months (possibly years!) will this 'action' still apply, I mean, would I ever see this 'payment' refunded? Yes.
                      See above.

Comment

Working...
                      X