• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DownButNotOut View Post
    what do I do guys...

Wait for the actual APN to arrive and then call HMRC?
    Call HMRC now and ask what are they talking about?

in the mean time I've written to TQuinn and DBull

thanks
    Don't hold your breath, I got my apn's today, the sums don't match appealed values, and hmrc have been misallocating funds I've sent them for various things so they are asking for less than I was expecting, I may just comply with the law and pay exactly what they claim now, it also says its for the mtm property scheme, which it wasn't , and then when the George trigger gets pulled they will be in pieces trying to sort it out, at which time ombudsman/ mp/ whoever gets daily calls pointing out their inability to resolve in business like timeframes....and I will have done/ paid up on time as instructed, Lynn homer must be so proud

Comment

Originally posted by orientalist View Post
      Don't hold your breath, I got my apn's today, the sums don't match appealed values, and hmrc have been misallocating funds I've sent them for various things so they are asking for less than I was expecting, I may just comply with the law and pay exactly what they claim now, it also says its for the mtm property scheme, which it wasn't , and then when the George trigger gets pulled they will be in pieces trying to sort it out, at which time ombudsman/ mp/ whoever gets daily calls pointing out their inability to resolve in business like timeframes....and I will have done/ paid up on time as instructed, Lynn homer must be so proud
      ive not had a warning letter or APN yet. They are probably sending stuff to a really old address and havent bothered to confirm the latest correspondence details from the SA's....shame....guess Im not the only one that hasnt had anything yet?

Comment

HMRC may not have opened proper enquiries for 2006/7 and 2007/8

It is worth checking any correspondence you have from HMRC for these two years.

You might find a letter with this in it which is not an enquiry.

"Given this you may now wish to submit an amended return for 2006-2007 to reflect that the partnership income is chargeable."

"Going forward when you complete your Self Assessment for 2007-2008 you should ensure that if any income arose in 2007-2008 that you complete the partnership pages of your Self Assessment and do not make any claim to exemption under the Double Taxation Agreement."

If in any doubt, write to HMRC and ask them to provide copies of letters opening enquiries.

And then check they haven't been doctored !!!

Some people also believe HMRC have completely fabricated "copies" of their enquiry letters.

If you have any suspicions please contact NTRT.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          HMRC may not have opened proper enquiries for 2006/7 and 2007/8

It is worth checking any correspondence you have from HMRC for these two years.

You might find a letter with this in it which is not an enquiry.

"Given this you may now wish to submit an amended return for 2006-2007 to reflect that the partnership income is chargeable."

"Going forward when you complete your Self Assessment for 2007-2008 you should ensure that if any income arose in 2007-2008 that you complete the partnership pages of your Self Assessment and do not make any claim to exemption under the Double Taxation Agreement."

If in any doubt, write to HMRC and ask them to provide copies of letters opening enquiries.

And then check they haven't been doctored !!!

Some people also believe HMRC have completely fabricated "copies" of their enquiry letters.

If you have any suspicions please contact NTRT.
          Interestingly , no apn has appeared for 6/7, I got 5/6 and 7/8.

Comment

The last time I asked HMRC to supply all letters they did and all the dates conveniently were fine in their favour.

However, in a number of cases I don't remember ever receiving the originals.

I'm going to ask MP to see what they received.

There must be some method to force HMRC into supplying the ACTUAL originals versus anything that's been doctored. Don't all files on record get electronically stamped?

Comment

I have requested copies of all years where they have opened enquiries, as I do not have anything but a final demand for a couple of years. Seems to me something is not quite right here from the recent posts.

Comment

Originally posted by mrkitchen View Post
                I have requested copies of all years where they have opened enquiries, as I do not have anything but a final demand for a couple of years. Seems to me something is not quite right here from the recent posts.
                What we need is an HMRC mole to spill the beans on what is really going on.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                  What we need is an HMRC mole to spill the beans on what is really going on.
                  that kind of info would be worth a substantial amount of money too! I would say probably at least a years salaries worth

Comment

If you are in any doubt that HMRC opened an enquiry for a tax year send this letter to HMRC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Dear Sir,

I am writing concerning the Closure Notice you issued for tax year 200x-200y.

I have no record of HMRC opening an enquiry for this year.

That being the case, I hereby request that you withdraw the Closure Notice.

Yours faithfully,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they write back enclosing a copy of an enquiry letter:
                    1) if you didn't previously receive it, ask yourself if it looks fabricated
                    2) if it is the same as a previous letter, check that it exactly matches the original
                    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 10 April 2015, 07:31.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      ive not had a warning letter or APN yet. They are probably sending stuff to a really old address and havent bothered to confirm the latest correspondence details from the SA's....shame....guess Im not the only one that hasnt had anything yet?
                      I haven't received one either. Two of my colleagues have though; interestingly although they were both in the scheme for the same years, the APN warning letter quoted different years for the two of them! Reading some of the other recent posts here, Hector seems to be making a right pig's ear of this entire exercise (well there's a surprise!) and the grounds for subsequent complaint and legal action appear to be increasing exponentially! Through in the George argument and I think the HMRC machine will go into melt-down!

Comment

Working...
                      X