• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice periods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't sound unusual to me. I expect the contracts has no MOO. Why don't people understand the contracts they sign?

Comment

Some contracts also have terms written in giving the client the right to terminate the contract for poor performance, gross misconduct, or any other "reasonable" cause. In effect, the notice period doesn't really mean much from their end, as it can be overridden if they really don't want you around. Hardly a bad thing if you're trading outside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        While you're at search the terms "mutuality of obligation" and "IR35".
        Which are in no way relevant to the question posted.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
          Which are in no way relevant to the question posted.

Boo
          Yes they are. A good IR35 contract should have a MOO clause which essentially states that the client doesn't have to offer work and the contractor doesn't have to accept offered work.

It's relevant because it essentially renders notice periods irrelevant. You could have a 4 week notice period, and the client/agency provide you with your 4 weeks notice. Oh, and they also say we don't have any work for the next 4 weeks, so no need for you to come in.

So for the OP, assuming he has a good IR35 contract (which is doubtful given his second post clearly shows he's not cut out to be a contractor), should have that clause in, which means that it's perfectly acceptable to say that he's not needed for the final week.

Comment

Depends on the contract but generally my understanding is the client isn't allowed to terminate the contract early.

However they don't have to offer you work at any stage of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              Depends on the contract but generally my understanding is the client isn't allowed to terminate the contract early.

However they don't have to offer you work at any stage of it.
              Your understanding is wrong then. As you have pointed out it depends entirely on the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
                Your understanding is wrong then. As you have pointed out it depends entirely on the contract.
                I am sure there are contracts that aren't like that. I wouldn't sign one though.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  I am sure there are contracts that aren't like that. I wouldn't sign one though.
                  The contract is whatever the two sides agree.

Comment

Originally posted by mookle View Post
                    You Need Creative Orangutans To Butter Awkward Crumpets?
                    YNCOTBAC = You Never Copulate On The Boss's Arm Chair

Comment

Notice periods

If the contract has a good MOO clause in it you can walk away if the the client stops work as outlined in the schedule and expects you to work on something different.
                      If the contract has no notice period inform the agent that you will no longer work/invoice on the contract and invite them to terminate.

That does the trick. So if we can do that I would expect the agent to be able to do the same.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X