• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - Guilty as charged! - Updated May 2016 - NOT GUILTY!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Some of us aren't as old as you think!
    Me either

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    HMRE HM Customs & Exercise, certainly (from which HMRC originates, together with the Inland Revenue). The Inland Revenue was around for centuries before HMRC.
    Some of us aren't as old as you think!

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    HMRE HM Customs & Exercise, certainly (from which HMRC originates, together with the Inland Revenue). The Inland Revenue was around for centuries before HMRC.

lol fail

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Agreed... When I read it I just thought it was an older person... Lots of people still call them HMRE.... No big deal

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    Maybe you do. Not everyone does. It could be that they're using the old-fashioned name because that's the one they're more familiar with. Equating with 'troll' seems ridiculous to be honest.
    Agreed... When I read it I just thought it was an older person... Lots of people still call them HMRE.... No big deal

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    That is not what I wanted to hear
    As SueEllen notes, it depends on the individual to some degree. As a counterpoint, I've always found Abbey Tax to be absolutely top notch, the best of all advisers that I've used over the years (although I haven't used them for an investigation, only for detailed reviews). I can only imagine that it was quite stressful for the OP if there was a question about the advice being given. In these circumstances, it's probably worth escalating internally, as Abbey is an excellent company, at least in my experience.

Leave a comment:

• theroyale
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's because they are called "HMRC" now not "HMRE".

Using incorrect terminology on forums when talking about serious subjects automatically makes people think you are trolling at worse and not serious at best.

Maybe you do. Not everyone does. It could be that they're using the old-fashioned name because that's the one they're more familiar with. Equating with 'troll' seems ridiculous to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Edited the subject for you.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Munchers View Post
    Thank you.

I must admit I was gob smacked that HMRE caused such a fuss! You learn.
    That's because they are called "HMRC" now not "HMRE".

Using incorrect terminology on forums when talking about serious subjects automatically makes people think you are trolling at worse and not serious at best.

Also the actions of your tax advisors didn't surprise me.

Like with anyone who is paid to work that greatly impacts someone's life, some people go out of their way to do the best job they can - so if possible turn down work if they can't complete it properly - while others do a just about adequate job. This is why word of mouth recommendations carry so much weight though when you are paying for blanket coverage it's harder to say you don't want a particular individual by name.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by Munchers View Post
    Thanks for support - it was tough at times but more good support than negative.

For the record Abbey Tax were appalling - we moved to them from 'insured' advisors and the advice, cost, attitude was unbelievable. Must point out that it was one person only. We did complain and refused to pay - lost our deposit only.
    That is not what I wanted to hear

Leave a comment:

Working...
X