• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How near to end date should I start applying foor new contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How near to end date should I start applying foor new contracts?

Hi

After years of indecission, I've finally decided to make the jump from permie to contract and have handed in my notice.

As I'm on 7 weeks notice, I'm not sure if its worth applying for new contracts now or wait until I have 2/3 weeks to go. If I do start applying now, should I state my availability date or just say I'm available now and try to string things out a bit.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Iain.

Going from permie to contract is going to be hard as unless you are super niche or super skilled you are going to get pipped to the post by guys with experience in contracting. Without knowing the details of your situation I would say you haven't timed it very well, unless again you are super niche or super skilled.

Either way I would start applying right now just in super rare event you do get a contract that is willing to wait. If nothing else at least you get your CV circulated early by applying. Generally for an experienced guy going from one to another it is something like 3-4 weeks before end. The last 4 of my contracts have all been interiew Tues/Weds and start on Monday so personally I don't bother until 2 weeks nowadays.

Don't mess the agents about by lying though. You are in a difficult situation as it is so the last thing you want to do is make yourself unpopular to agents right from the off. They are not stupid and when they give you an interview date you can't make they will sniff you out straight away and bin you. Maybe you could do that a few weeks before but certainly not seven. Starting your new career off on a lie and getting caught out certainly isn't the best start. Some would argue it won't make any difference, some would argue it could cause a problem in the future. It is a small world out there.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

6-8 weeks

I always start looking 6-8 weeks from the end of my contract. I don't see why its any different for you.

My current agent starts looking 45 days ahead of my contract finish date.

Comment

Well, in the end I decided I couldn't wait (too stressful) and told my boss I would prefer to leave after 4 weeks notice and as I had almost nothing to do anyway he agreed. I then started applying immediately and was lucky enough to bag a contract within 2 weeks of resigning.

So here I am at the end of my second week of contacting and wondering what I was so worried about and wishing I'd done it years ago. Don't know if I'm super skilled and I'm certainly not super niche, maybe I just got lucky or maybe I played the CV/agency/interview thing just right.....time will tell!

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
          Well, in the end I decided I couldn't wait (too stressful) and told my boss I would prefer to leave after 4 weeks notice and as I had almost nothing to do anyway he agreed. I then started applying immediately and was lucky enough to bag a contract within 2 weeks of resigning.

So here I am at the end of my second week of contacting and wondering what I was so worried about and wishing I'd done it years ago. Don't know if I'm super skilled and I'm certainly not super niche, maybe I just got lucky or maybe I played the CV/agency/interview thing just right.....time will tell!

Shhhh. Keep it quiet. We don't want everyone knowing it's easy.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I went back to contracting after 2.5yrs as a (miserable) permi and managed to convince the client to wait out my 4 weeks notice. However, you'll find that a lot of places want their contractor 'yesterday' (you'll then probably find that once you've accepted their compliance procedures take 4 weeks...!). if you've already handed your notice in, I'd be seriously on the hunt already... its not ideal to have a gap between employments.

When I come to the end of a contract I usually start looking 4 weeks prior.

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post

Well done.

P.S.
              Dunno where you are but if you're in London, drinks most Thursdays at the Ship and Shovel near Charing Cross station.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
              X