• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negative people when starting up!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Can I start to ask him, the questions now?
    Go on, he has got away very lightly so far.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Can I start to ask him, the questions now?
      Gowon, you know you want to.

Comment

Hmm, I obviously haven't read around enough.... what is "the question"?

Comment

Originally posted by meraff View Post
          I do love it when this happens.

Well, since you ask ......

For starters,

meraff, do you ever hang around a gymnasium?
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Like a lamb to the slaughter
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

To be honest do what feels right to you and only you. I contracted for 20 years and loved every minute of it (blissfully retired now!) If i`d of listened to others I wouldnt of experienced travelling the world, meeting the people I have and earning good money.

1 piece of imperative advice - speak to a qualified tax consultant. No point in earning the cash if they can take it back.

Comment

Originally posted by wacky77 View Post
                To be honest do what feels right to you and only you. I contracted for 20 years and loved every minute of it (blissfully retired now!) If i`d of listened to others I wouldnt of experienced travelling the world, meeting the people I have and earning good money.

1 piece of imperative advice - speak to a qualified tax consultant. No point in earning the cash if they can take it back.
                You might've learned to spell though.

But seriously, if your partner is supportive and doesn't just spend all the money you'll be fine. Contracting isn't for everyone - thank goodness otherwise the market would be saturated!

Comment

You are facing the same resistance and doubts that many of us have in the past, the reality is that many contractors do it from a position of having nothing to lose. They will have been made redundant or be in a place where there is very little keeping them there so it doesn't seem much of a leap.
                  My dad stayed at the same company for ever despite other opportunities which might have seen him do 'better' (whatever that means) elsewhere, he still did ok.
                  When I was talking to him about going contracting I thought he would say no - stay in the safe place. He surprised me by saying go for it, if it doesn't work out, it won't be your last job, something else will turn up.
                  Just make sure your skills have some future as your success on the open market will follow that.

Comment

I am keen to move into contracting by the end of the year. The project at my current permanent job is coming to an end and it just feels like the right time for me to move into contracting.

Did anybody else find their family/friends who were negative about moving into contracting when you were looking? I appreciate the market isn't exactly booming, but we all have to start at some point.

Rant over....
                    and to be honest at times your family/partners being a bit negative about you contracting is going to be the very least of your worries. If you are getting yourself wound up about someone elses opinion then you are going to find it very tough in a office full of negative permies.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sometimes it's about taking life by the balls and going for it - only you can do that though. I had only 3.5 years exp in my field and I'd had enough of office politics and corporate climbers so I tried contracting. My first contract was at Microsoft (I use MS server apps) which was frustrating at first but all in all a fantastic 9m contract, in that time managed to pay off all of my debts and save a deposit for house. Then I didn't work for four months, even though I had MS on my CV. So I got to see both sides of contracting very early on. All in all eights years later I *like* contracting, have worked for 12 companies so have gained tons of experience.

Since Jan 2009 I was on the bench until Aug 09 then 6 month contract, then nothing March-May 2010. That was tough going, esp 2009 when wife was made redundant also. Now in gig until mid Sept but wife is 6m pregnant, so wondering if I should venture down the dark side.

Was already contracting when I met my gf/wife so she understood and my father has contracted on and off for last 20 years, so no hassle there. My old school car builder Father-in-law is a different story though! Hasn't a clue about contracting at all.

Good luck.

qh

ps -stay away from Brookson and Paystream if you can help it.
                      Last edited by quackhandle; 5 August 2010, 14:04.
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X