• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hello

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello

Well I thought I better be polite and say hello here. Its a new account as its about 7 years since I last posted here.

Mind you nothing else seems to have changed although some post counts look slightly higher.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Is that you, Janek?

Comment

Nah not Janek, I think he is still hanging around with alexc at majestic tho.

Thinking about it I do have a question. Have agents got stupider over the past 5 years or are things more desperate?

It used to be that I could easily pick up a contract for 2-3 weeks time on the basis that it was better to wait for quality rather than having any bum on the seat. However in the last two days I've twice seen companies going for an immediately available benched contractor rather than shopping around. I could understand it if the rates were crap but in both cases the rates are better then they would have been two years ago.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Well I thought I better be polite and say hello here. Its a new account as its about 7 years since I last posted here.

Mind you nothing else seems to have changed although some post counts look slightly higher.
        Hi there.

Well bye for now - see you in seven years' time then.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Hi .. oh bugger, he's gone already.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Thinking about it I do have a question. Have agents got stupider over the past 5 years or are things more desperate?

It used to be that I could easily pick up a contract for 2-3 weeks time on the basis that it was better to wait for quality rather than having any bum on the seat. However in the last two days I've twice seen companies going for an immediately available benched contractor rather than shopping around. I could understand it if the rates were crap but in both cases the rates are better then they would have been two years ago.
            I've seen that too, it's very annoying especially when first class train tickets have already been purchased and the client decideds to cancel the interview.
            Still, I think it is a good reflection on the market in that companies are desperate to get someone in!
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Howdy old timer.

I think as the market has become tougher, then agents are under more pressure to close roles as soon as possible as opposed to finding the best candidate.

I was in for an interview last week. I live 5 minutes from the client site, have been doing the same BI project they wanted to do plus 10 years worth of experience in addition for part 2 of the project. The agent refused to put me through, but obviously on a rethink did and I got an immediate interview.

The client though in this case didnt want to wait and eventually during the interview I got so fed up with him asking about my notice, plus he was a dull bastard I told him to go with whoever was available first and drop me a line in six months!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
              X