• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potential Contract work abroad. Help in logistics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential Contract work abroad. Help in logistics

Hello there,

I may have a potential contract in a European country (currency Euros) for 6-12 months.

I have previously always been in full-time employment so contracting is new.

The client says their rates are negotiable and I was thinking of charging £600+ to take into account rent and other expenses of moving to a new city temporarily.

Could anyone please advice me or share resources on what to keep in mind when contracting abroad?

The taxation issues of the country you want to work in for a start. Germany has some very stringent rules.

More research from your end is required.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you mention the country you will get more help.

Oh and don't use your real name on the board. Ask admin to change your username.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Looking at your posting history I think you need to sack off foreign gigs until you've got a few normal under your belt and have a grasp on the basics.

Gigs in Europe can be complex for contractors that know what they are doing.

Comment

Thank you for the advice

The country is Ireland and the maximum the customer can pay is 500 Euros a day.

Post tax in my current role I earn £40,000 and have a mortgage to pay so I want to ensure it covers that + any costs abroad in such a country.

I agree with the sentiment that it is wiser to work in the UK first as a contractor so am also trying to do that.

Comment

Reams and reams on information about contracting in Ireland on here and google.

Use the google search method to search for posts on this topic. Type the following in to google.

ireland site:forums.contractoruk.com

We don't have a clue how much you need to live, what savings you have, what rates you will be working on. You are gonna have to get down and crunch the numbers yourself. Or better still with an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesFuller View Post
              Thank you for the advice

The country is Ireland and the maximum the customer can pay is 500 Euros a day.

Post tax in my current role I earn £40,000 and have a mortgage to pay so I want to ensure it covers that + any costs abroad in such a country.

I agree with the sentiment that it is wiser to work in the UK first as a contractor so am also trying to do that.
              That's ok for Dublin and if it is Dublin it's brolly time and nowhere to live! Accom. is hard to find. Very hard and expensive, my one room grief-hole here in Dublin costs more than my 4-bed detached back home. One room in Dublin City Centre flatshare is 1600/2000 Euro, if you can get one.

Getting the role and pulling in the coin is the easy part believe me......

Comment

Thank you again

This role is in Cork and apparently the rent is cheaper there?

The customer says they can only go up to 450 Euros (just over £400).

I don't know if this is enough to cover my living costs in Cork (Rent, £30 a week on food, maybe £20 a month gym, commute costs) + my living costs in the UK which is about £2,000 a month.

I know I can do the job and working in another country for a while sounds nice but I am having a hard time calculating whether this would work financially if I accept the rate above (£400).

Comment

Originally posted by JamesFuller View Post
                  Thank you again

This role is in Cork and apparently the rent is cheaper there?

The customer says they can only go up to 450 Euros (just over £400).

I don't know if this is enough to cover my living costs in Cork (Rent, £30 a week on food, maybe £20 a month gym, commute costs) + my living costs in the UK which is about £2,000 a month.

I know I can do the job and working in another country for a while sounds nice but I am having a hard time calculating whether this would work financially if I accept the rate above (£400).
                  Getting to Cork is the issue then, there is an airport, not much of one tho. So it's train or car from Dubs, train isn't cheap and car here, well, let's just say you have to be an enthusiast, anyhing over 2ltr or so is 1200-1800 a year road tax. And there are road tolls too.

Nothing is cheap in Ireland, bit cheaper out of Dublin but basically it's high tax, high costs. the Lemsip factor is 10 sachets for 7.60 Euro, double UK prices....

Comment

And that's not the OP's real name...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X