• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End new contract

I am new to contracting. Last week I started a new contract role but I would like to resign /end the contract. Travelling to the workplace is too much for me, it takes too long and I cannot keep up with it. When I attended the interview the journey was shorter but travelling during rush hours takes too long.
    How do I go about resigning i.e. Do I go to work tomorrow and tell my manager or call the agency first or do I just not go to work and tell the agency,

I was reading the contract is for 3 months and under termination it has 4 weeks,

How long is the journey? Is there any chance you could stay overnight - maybe during the week, or perhaps 1 or 2 nights a week just to reduce the stress. Or would it cost too much? How flexible is your client? Can you work longer hours some days and shorter others, in order to avoid commuter chaos?

I had a 100 mile commute once - 1 hour 45 each way. I'd leave home early Monday morning, then stay over at the client location Tuesday and Wednesday night. I'd go home Thursday evening, and then Friday do the commute.

On another contract, it was a 3 hour journey. I did my contractual hours Mon-Thurs lunchtime and took Friday off.

On yet another, I flew out early Monday morning, stayed in an apartment during the week, and flew home late Friday evening.

Being away from home overnight and weekly commutes are part of the contractor experience.

Sometimes it's worth talking directly with your client, but it depends on your relationship with them and the issue. Mostly, you should go through your agency, as they are the ones you have a contract with.

If you're set on leaving, then check your contract for your notice period (if any), and talk to your agent. If you have no notice, talk to your agent anyway.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Being away from home overnight and weekly commutes are part of the contractor experience.
      Only if you choose to make it so - although to be fair the time to exercise that choice should really be BEFORE you sign the contract committing yourself/your Ltd to delivering the work.

If you're set on leaving, then check your contract for your notice period (if any), and talk to your agent. If you have no notice, talk to your agent anyway.
      But then also be prepared potentially never to get work from that agent again as they’ve just lost an income stream which may not have happened of they’d put a different candidate forward. How would you feel if, having just signed a contract for several months’ worth of work, clientco just arbitrarily terminated things, with minimal or no notice?

Having said all the above you do have my sympathies as I recognise that sometime what a gig is actually going to be like in practice does not become apparent until after the event...

Comment

Originally posted by CatOnMat View Post
        Only if you choose to make it so
        That very much depends on your sector, and where you live.

But then also be prepared potentially never to get work from that agent again
        Rubbish. If they think they can make money out of you, all will be forgiven. Being able to work at the client again is another matter.

Now, rather than arguing the toss with me, do you have anything constructive for the OP?

Comment

Didn't think it through, don't know who you are contracted to? What a car crash.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 22 October 2017, 12:55.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks fir your responses.

Due to family commitments I cannot stay overnight at the contracted location and the daily rate is not that great to afford hotel/Bb for 2 days.

I do drive 2 hours 15 mins each way and it's just exhausting. I have tried to commute different times but it takes the same amount of time.

Comment

Call the agency tomorrow and give your four week's notice.

Comment

Can you invoke your right of substitution?

Comment

Now, rather than arguing the toss with me, do you have anything constructive for the OP?
                  Not looking to argue with anyone, particularly in the face of such an unnecessarily aggressive stance as yours

All I was pointing out however is that if that agent had a choice of contractors to put forward in future I would expect they would chose to go with one who had not let them down in the past, hence my suggestion for OP to be prepared for that eventuality if deciding to pull out, i.e. do so with potential consequences in mind as well, rather than assume this will or will not be the case. With all due respect to your opinion I will leave it up to OP as to whether that is deemed "constructive" or not.

Comment

Originally posted by CatOnMat View Post

Having said all the above you do have my sympathies as I recognise that sometime what a gig is actually going to be like in practice does not become apparent until after the event...
                    I'd think it's only yours then. His journey time getting longer in rush hour is hardly rocket science and it has to be expected so it's hardly something you can say became apparent after the event.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X