• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Db407 View Post
    Thanks fir your responses.

Due to family commitments I cannot stay overnight at the contracted location and the daily rate is not that great to afford hotel/Bb for 2 days.

I do drive 2 hours 15 mins each way and it's just exhausting. I have tried to commute different times but it takes the same amount of time.
    Not sure how it was much quicker during interview.

When I put in travel to a place into something like Google maps I get a estimate with the best and worst journey time. I always assume the worst one for rush hour.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by CatOnMat View Post
      Not looking to argue with anyone, particularly in the face of such an unnecessarily aggressive stance as yours

All I was pointing out however is that if that agent had a choice of contractors to put forward in future I would expect they would chose to go with one who had not let them down in the past, hence my suggestion for OP to be prepared for that eventuality if deciding to pull out, i.e. do so with potential consequences in mind as well, rather than assume this will or will not be the case. With all due respect to your opinion I will leave it up to OP as to whether that is deemed "constructive" or not.
      I've never had a gig through the same agent twice so not worth losing sleep over.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        I've never had a gig through the same agent twice so not worth losing sleep over.
        Fair point...

Comment

Hi OP, perhaps try a B&B. You say accommodation would be too expensive, but it might be possible to get something acceptable for £40 a night. If only to make your notice period a bit more relaxing.

Comment

You didn't think about how long the commute during rush hour would take?

Comment

Thanks fir your responses.

Due to family commitments I cannot stay overnight at the contracted location and the daily rate is not that great to afford hotel/Bb for 2 days.

I do drive 2 hours 15 mins each way and it's just exhausting. I have tried to commute different times but it takes the same amount of time.
              Are you sure about that. I found the difference between petrol costs v an overnight stay meant it cost me about £10 a night to stay over....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I am new to contracting. Last week I started a new contract role but I would like to resign /end the contract. Travelling to the workplace is too much for me, it takes too long and I cannot keep up with it. When I attended the interview the journey was shorter but travelling during rush hours takes too long.
                How do I go about resigning i.e. Do I go to work tomorrow and tell my manager or call the agency first or do I just not go to work and tell the agency,

I was reading the contract is for 3 months and under termination it has 4 weeks,
                Dont do this.. 3 months will pass in no time. Use this as a trial run for your contracting career. If after 3 months you still dont want it, then leave and find a permie job.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                  You didn't think about how long the commute during rush hour would take?

Try and see it through it you can - 3 months will fly by. And then think through your next contract role with a little more reasoning.

Comment

Working...
                  X