• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELLO! :) Entering the Contacting world. Please kindly help with a few questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELLO! :) Entering the Contacting world. Please kindly help with a few questions

Hello all,

I am leaving the perm world and entering a contracting world soon.

Have given my perm company a resignation date and exploring contracting opportunities where I have 2 offers.

1) What do I need to set-up in advance of agreeing a contract?
    2) How can I make the most money from contracting when it comes to umbrella company and ltd company? And inside IR35 or outside.
    I read about the difference between the two types above but steppping into the unknown I am not sure which to choose. I am personally organised so logging expenses etc should not be an issue.

3) What are the essential do's and don'ts of contracting?

Essentials do's
    Do some research.
    Read all the guides to the right.
    Learn to use the search function as explained in a sticky in the Welcome part of the forums.

Essential don'ts
    Don't ask lazy questions without doing a bit of research first.
    Don't expect anyone to hold your hand. You are on your own now.
    Don't post under your real name.

HTH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Welcome to CUK.

Read the first timers guide on the right , this will give you more information.

It depends on your contract whether you will work inside or outside of IR35.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Welcome to CUK.

Read the first timers guide on the right , this will give you more information.

It depends on your contract whether you will work inside or outside of IR35.
        Where's that post you normally put up. That's a good starter one?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesFuller View Post
          1) What do I need to set-up in advance of agreeing a contract?
          Nothing. You can create a company in 15 minutes, so you don't need that before you have something in place. It might save a bit of time to be organised (you may want a list of what you'll need to set up quickly so you can do it then), but there's nothing that you actually need before you agree the contract.

2) How can I make the most money from contracting when it comes to umbrella company and ltd company? And inside IR35 or outside.
          I read about the difference between the two types above but steppping into the unknown I am not sure which to choose. I am personally organised so logging expenses etc should not be an issue.
          Work efficiently, minimise waste. Outside IR35 via a limited company is probably the most efficient way to operate, but it's up to you to work out how you will work and what that means.

3) What are the essential do's and don'ts of contracting?
          Do: Understand what you are doing. Deliver value. Know your market and skills. Think about what you'll do if there are no more contracts. Join IPSE. Understand the risks. Remember that you aren't a permie any more. Understand the responsibilities of running a company. Learn what IR35 means for your company. Plan ahead. Get renewed (if you want to). Leave when you want to. Take a break every now and then. Get a good accountant. NEVER think of things you might buy in terms of "that's only a day's rate".

Don't: Annoy the tax man. Forget your bills. Take the piss about clients. Spend all your time on CUK. Get complacent in your skillset. Become part and parcel of the company. Forget to save for the future.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Don't post under your real name.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Nothing. You can create a company in 15 minutes, so you don't need that before you have something in place. It might save a bit of time to be organised (you may want a list of what you'll need to set up quickly so you can do it then), but there's nothing that you actually need before you agree the contract.

Work efficiently, minimise waste. Outside IR35 via a limited company is probably the most efficient way to operate, but it's up to you to work out how you will work and what that means.

Do: Understand what you are doing. Deliver value. Know your market and skills. Think about what you'll do if there are no more contracts. Join IPSE. Understand the risks. Remember that you aren't a permie any more. Understand the responsibilities of running a company. Learn what IR35 means for your company. Plan ahead. Get renewed (if you want to). Leave when you want to. Take a break every now and then. Get a good accountant. NEVER think of things you might buy in terms of "that's only a day's rate".

Don't: Annoy the tax man. Forget your bills. Take the piss about clients. Spend all your time on CUK. Get complacent in your skillset. Become part and parcel of the company. Forget to save for the future.
              Always wear Sunscreen 😎
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                NEVER think of things you might buy in terms of "that's only a day's rate".
                Guilty AF. It's OK if you skip taking holiday for it though

Comment

Working...
                X