• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new here on the forum and to this contract world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new here on the forum and to this contract world

Just posting to say hello and introduce myself.
    I'm a new IT contractor in London, will start Monday on my first contract, after many years of perm roles.
    Happy to be here and take advantage of this community's knowledge, hopefully I can get confident in the coming months and help other noobs.
    Thank you in advance for your time and apologies as I know I will break some of the obvious rules and ask silly questions.
    Moving on to read the FAQ and the sticky posts, lots of info here... THANK YOU !

Originally posted by easybenjamins View Post
    Just posting to say hello and introduce myself.
    I'm a new IT contractor in London, will start Monday on my first contract, after many years of perm roles.
    Happy to be here and take advantage of this community's knowledge, hopefully I can get confident in the coming months and help other noobs.
    Thank you in advance for your time and apologies as I know I will break some of the obvious rules and ask silly questions.
    Moving on to read the FAQ and the sticky posts, lots of info here... THANK YOU !
    Silly questions are allowed - provided there's some evidence you've read up on the basics! Some things are simply too convoluted to understand in one go. Apart from all the legal and monetary stuff, there's a whole mind set needs changing, and that will take a while. So have fun and don't be scared to ask.

Do read all the guides on here, and get over to www.ipse.co.uk and download their Guide to Freelancing. Some silly questions will then appear to be just that....
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

A very warm welcome.

Which industry are you working in?

Comment

NHS for now, thanks for asking.

Comment

Inside IR35?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, inside IR35. Using PayStream for umbrella, happy with them, easy to use systems.
            It's been 2 good weeks so far, nothing scary. I feel so much more relaxed than on my previous first few weeks as a perm. Just focused on getting as much done as possible in these couple of months of my contract.

Comment

Back here a year later.
              It was a great experience for a couple months, and then I jumped back to perm, closed the umbrella. Used SJD, very happy with them, also quick to provide references for the perm role security checks.
              Just landed a 2 months contract now, likely to extend to 6, so setting up my Limited this week to see if it's a better choice over the umbrella. Not sure between SJD, Gorilla and Clever Accounts. 10 more days to figure it out.

One things I'd like help with, they've mentioned "Day Rate: £400 per day excl. VAT". What does this mean, that they don't want me to charge them VAT ? so that would mean setting up the company in such a way as to not pay VAT ? not sure if I should ask them directly as it might look unprofessional.

Comment

Stay perm.

Comment

When you buy something over the web, and the price is £30, excl. P&P it means the site charges you £30 for the item, and then adds on the cost of postage and packing.

In the same way, £400 per day excl. VAT means you charge the agency £400 for every day you work and add on the relevant VAT rate.

If you ever see a rate including VAT, run a mile. Rates should never be quoted including VAT.

As far as VAT accounting goes, best bet is to go for the fixed rate. Ask your chosen accountant about how to set that up. It minimised paperwork and means a slight uplift in the amount you get to keep after VAT is accounted for.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

SJD seem to have a problem with customer service at the moment and are too expensive anyway. Dunno anyone using Clever. I'm with Gorilla so I'd say use them. There is an accounting sticky at the top of the accounting forum with other options if you want.

You can quickly search the forums which will help answer your basic questions and help research your accountants amongst other things. You need to go to Google and type in..

SJD site:forums.contractoruk.com

Swap the term SJD for anything you want to search for. You are going to have to use it a lot I expect.

Also read the first timers guide in the links to the right. You've got an awful lot to learn quickly. You've got to know about IR35, contract checks, insurances and basic accounting as you do most of it yourself.

I've got a sneaking suspicion you are better off going brolly again to be honest. You won't be much worse off for a single gig and it's going to be a lot less hassle,particularly if you are going to be dipping in and out.

Comment

Working...
                    X