• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to the forum (and contracting)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the forum (and contracting)

Hey guys.

New to the forum, my names Chris and I am looking to start contracting in the next few months, currently a permie of almost 5 years at current workplace and looking to make the jump to contracting! Any advice, tips any kind of help on getting my first contract would be appreciated. Looking for Javascript Developer or Frontend Developer for my first gig.

Thanks!

Welcome to CUK.

As you may know, market can be quite tight at the moment. Make sure you have a warchest when you start and increase it as quick as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Welcome to CUK.

As you may know, market can be quite tight at the moment. Make sure you have a warchest when you start and increase it as quick as you can.
      Thanks for the greeting! By warchest I take it you mean skillset etc? Got quite a good one so I'm happy I won't have any issues with the technical side, just struggling with the interview side atm, been 5 years since I last did an interview and that was more like a chat down the pub.

Comment

Your warchest is your savings that you live off while not in contract.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wa...ntractoruk.com

Comment

Originally posted by codedaddy View Post
          Thanks for the greeting! By warchest I take it you mean skillset etc? Got quite a good one so I'm happy I won't have any issues with the technical side, just struggling with the interview side atm, been 5 years since I last did an interview and that was more like a chat down the pub.
          No by warchest he means enough cash squirrelled away to allow you to survive between contracts. Depending on market conditions for your skillset you should be looking at being able to survive 6 mths+ with no income, if you are currently in permanent employment then of course you can hopefully get your first contract arranged while working your notice period.

It is well worth having a look through all of the guides on this site to give you an idea what you're getting into...

Comment

My bad. I've read quite a few things and not come across that term. Thanks

Comment

My bad. I've read quite a few things and not come across that term. Thanks
              You are fine in this forum. You have to be more careful in other forums. There is alot to learn.

With interviews, I always think experience is the best way to learn. Alot to do with confidence.

It also helps to make a good first impression. And to maintain eye contact(without being hypnotic!).

Comment

Last face to face I had was 2013 and that was IBM.

Had three contacts since all single phone interviews.

Comment

Single phone interviews for developer contracts?

No tech test?

Comment

Originally posted by serverside View Post
                    Single phone interviews for developer contracts?

No tech test?
                    I’m not a code monkey, me!

Comment

Working...
                    X