• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie needs a little tax help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs a little tax help!

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum, and to contracting.
    I am about to start working as an independent contractor for a charity which promotes sport in schools. I will be expected to teach for about an hour per day in various schools for about £50 per gig. I will have to sign a contract with the charity regarding rates of pay/hours of work/terms of employment/behaviour/dress code etc.
    As I am new to this I want to know what my best option would be regarding tax. So, my main questions are...

As an independent contractor would I have to fill out an IR35 form (or something else?).
    Or would I be considered a subcontractor?
    Would I need an accountant?
    How much would an accountant cost (roughly)?
    Do I need to pay tax monthly or annually?
    Can I claim for food/travel/office equipment expenses?
    If I only work for a few hours (say, 12) per week, can I get Universal Credit or some other benefit?
    Would working for other "employers/contractors" or private individuals affect my tax status? If so, how?
    Should I be a Limited Company/Umbrella or what?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Look over there ---> at CUK navigation and have a read.

Also go to ISPE website and read their guide to contracting. You may need to Google them.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Look over there ---> at CUK navigation and have a read.

Also go to ISPE website and read their guide to contracting. You may need to Google them.
      Or go in via their adverts on this site? The Guide to Freelancing should be your bible, given your style of work.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Or go in via their adverts on this site? The Guide to Freelancing should be your bible, given your style of work.
        I don't notice ads
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Before anything else, can I just say a heartfelt well done to you on doing what you're doing. I've been involved in securing sports funding and working with juniors in a coaching capacity; it is really fulfilling to secure funding, see it in action and see the difference it makes to others.

I'd say the first step is to get evaluated for IR35, then you can discuss the best way of being paid. The key sounds like it could be expenses - are you expected to fund your own travel, clothing, sports equipment, etc?

Also have a look at the SportEngland website to see if there are any grants that you could get, along with your sport's governing body; if securing these grants means setting up as a limited company to secure them, then so be it.

This site is traditionally for IT contractors, so the advice we give may not be from the correct perspective; I'd strongly recommend speaking to a tax adviser about your specific tax situation, which is different to what we generally face.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

There used to be a figure banded about that was a rough guide to whether a brolly or Ltd would be most efficient. Before the changes to T&S it was about 30k. Under this you might as well go brolly. The question to the OP is who pays the travel and how much is there. If you can invoice for it it might still be worth looking at a brolly if your gross is somewhere around 30k. If it's a lot more then it's a no brainer.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ok thanks all for your advice.

Comment

Working...
              X