• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enterprise allowance scheme - help requested

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enterprise allowance scheme - help requested

Hi,

I started the enterprise allowance scheme which offers advice and some small funds to replace jobseekers allowance for the first 6 months of running your own company. My plan is to do project/product management via contracting as there seem to be additional opportunities over and above the usual job applications.

I've done all the draft setup, but one part requires me to list competitors in the marketplace. But the competitors would appear to be small limited companies, perhaps set up and run by one person as a freelance/contractor. I am finding it really difficult to find any lists or directories of companies that offer this kind of service (and ballpark figures). Finding customers is much easier

Can anyone help point me to a good resource or offer advice? I only need 2-3 examples but I'm banging my head against the wall at the moment.

cheers

Why not aim higher and tell them your envisaged competition in the your 5 year business plan will be Accenture, Cap Gemini, CSC etc..
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Why not aim higher and tell them your envisaged competition in the your 5 year business plan will be Accenture, Cap Gemini, CSC etc..
      sounds lovely, but they only want startup/year one plans.

Is there a way I could find out accenture pricing? I could quote them as a supplier of contractors I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by mrklaw View Post
        sounds lovely, but they only want startup/year one plans.

Is there a way I could find out accenture pricing? I could quote them as a supplier of contractors I guess?
        Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned them. They are a different model to us so I wouldn't go down that route tbh. Forget I mentioned the big boys...

Maybe use LinkedIn and search for people with 'Looking for new opportunities'. They will often be contractors and will have their limited companies on their profiles.

And IMO use your time to be looking for gigs, not wasting it on this rubbish. You'll make more in two or three days in a gig that you will the full 26 weeks on the EA so just concentrate on getting a gig as your primary focus.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

And IMO use your time to be looking for gigs, not wasting it on this rubbish. You'll make more in two or three days in a gig that you will the full 26 weeks on the EA so just concentrate on getting a gig as your primary focus.
          appreciate the candor. It hasn't taken too much time, and this is all new to me, so I was hoping they'd be able to offer advice on company structure, tax and general admin etc which are my big unknowns.

Comment

Originally posted by mrklaw View Post
            appreciate the candor. It hasn't taken too much time, and this is all new to me, so I was hoping they'd be able to offer advice on company structure, tax and general admin etc which are my big unknowns.
            An accountant is really the best place to start with all thay. They will help you get set up, engage with HMRC where required and answer any issues you've got.

Thing is it will cost you. They might give you a quick consultancy first but in the mean time you might want to try the newbie guides to the right.

To be honest though all the company stuff including banking etc can be done very quickly after you've found yourself a gig. Get yourself work and money coming in above and beyond all. You can deal with process and the like later.

Comment

Working...
            X