• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greetings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings

Hi folks,

I've been contracting (software dev) for about 2 years now and lurked the site for about the same amount of time. Since I've been benched for a couple of months now I thought, what the heck, I'll stop being lazy and register!

What's wrong with the market nowadays anyway? Guess I need to increase my search radius.

Contracting has become diluted due to the number if people jumping on the band wagon, offshoring, time of year, your location etc I'm afraid. It's not always the golden Goose everyone thinks anymore.

And welcome.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 March 2016, 18:42.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers!

Yes, you're right.
      It certainly doesn't help that I'm based in Scotland. In London there's probably 10-20 times more gigs going on than around here...

It's surely not as lucrative as people think. It can be worse than a permie with all the costs one has to carry, plus time off etc. Still, I like to think the freedom we get makes up for it.
      I regret not having made more connections whilst a permie, though. Now I have to put up with blood sucking agents more interested in getting leads than landing me a gig!

Comment

Originally posted by booglebops View Post
        Cheers!

Yes, you're right.
        It certainly doesn't help that I'm based in Scotland. In London there's probably 10-20 times more gigs going on than around here...

It's surely not as lucrative as people think. It can be worse than a permie with all the costs one has to carry, plus time off etc. Still, I like to think the freedom we get makes up for it.
        I regret not having made more connections whilst a permie, though. Now I have to put up with blood sucking agents more interested in getting leads than landing me a gig!
        Well it's gonna get even worse for you. When the SNP hold their umpteeth referendum and finally get 51/49 in favour and claim a landslide and it's what Scotland always wanted ( ) all the decent companies will head south and we'll have shut our borders so you won't be able to come in and steal our jobs.

Comment

But then I can always move down South and make you some company!

Comment

But then I can always move down South and make you some company!
            Not if we aren't in the EU.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Cheers!

Yes, you're right.

Welcome Booglebops... I'm in Scotland :-)

Comment

Cheers gables

Central belt?

Comment

Isn't Wurzle Scottish?

Comment

What's wrong with the market nowadays anyway?
                    I blame the immigrants.

Comment

Working...
                    X