• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MyCo name... who cares? or who dares?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MyCo name... who cares? or who dares?

Does it actually matter what you call your ltd? Obviously it's on contracts, invoices etc, and presume one should have website, biz cards etc, but in reality does it actually matter much what it's called as long as it's not offensive etc?? What's your real experience of this?

And one thing I have read is it's a good idea not to call it your name as that could be a (presumably fairly minor) IR35 indicator. Is that your experience / info? And if so, does that extend as far as something like initials?

You can't use company names like 'Microsoft Services Ltd' for obvious reasons but beyond that and a bit of common sense it doesn't matter. Use your initials and something after if you are struggling. No one will care really. I wouldn't spend too long thinking about it TBH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You can't use company names like 'Microsoft Services Ltd' for obvious reasons but beyond that and a bit of common sense it doesn't matter. Use your initials and something after if you are struggling. No one will care really. I wouldn't spend too long thinking about it TBH.
      Wouldn't using your initials or name imply personal service and therefore be a clear IR35 indicator?

I'd also avoid using the word "Solutions" in the name - that implies that you're going to solve something rather than prolong the problem to maximise billing revenue.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

"Matty's Batty Fatty Tatty Techie Company" (tag line: "Will work for Lattes"
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You will get a mix of people who say stay away from making it personal as it shows you are a one man band, and people who say it doesn't matter.

These days its easier to find a name that has all the relevant .com/.co.uk/.net domains available, rather than think of a name and then check the domain is free
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Call your company what you like. If you really don't like the name you can do a "trading as" or change it later.

Oh and "Nofolk 'n' Chance" were struck of so you will have to wait a few years for that name.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Wouldn't using your initials or name imply personal service and therefore be a clear IR35 indicator?
              I'd better ring John Lewis and tell him then.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/choose-company-name

The top company here is available if you want it...

Meh.. Search doesn't work on CH site..
                Cunning Linguist Ltd

or if you are a pessimist

Failed Company LTd

Have to wait for MF's company though..

I am more a diet LTD
                Last edited by northernladuk; 9 February 2016, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Call your company what you like. If you really don't like the name you can do a "trading as" or change it later.

Oh and "Nofolk 'n' Chance" were struck of so you will have to wait a few years for that name.
                  Bodgit and Scarper is available though.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

NLUK, your second and third links come back as timeouts.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X