• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ClientCo perks - can a contractor accept them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

Intrigued by this as can't seem to find info. I've seen a ClientCo contract job ad that mentions some benefits - examples being free parking, free gym, and discount on their retail products (it's a brand that has high street shops).

Now parking and gym I guess seem reasonable if they are facilities that are free to use at the premises and not taxable benefits to permies. So presume reasonable those facilities could be used as a contractor?

But what about the 'staff discount' scenario? Would you have to declare that to taxman in some way? Or just not use at all?

What would IR35 think about that?

Thanks for any advice! If there is an answer out there please feel free to just point to it

These are employee perks. To use them would indictate you are an employee. This is bad.

If it's open to anyone at client site regardless of relationship to the client it's not so bad.

Check number 10 out...

ir35_top_10_traps_catch_unwary_contractor

IMO don't think I've ever seen a gig advertised with attractive benefits associated with it. I'd be very wary about this one from the outset. Something doesn't smell right.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 27 January 2016, 23:24.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ok good, my instinct was right I thought it seemed odd in particular the store discount.

Cheers!

Comment

Depends - some companies also offer supplier discounts.

Comment

If it's access to a shop on the premises, I'd not be too worried, if it was a "staff discount card" that you could use in one of their high street shops, then that smells too much of employee. But it also raise alarm bells if it's mentioned as part of the contract advert.

A former client of mine are a manufacturer/wholesaler but no direct sales to customers. They had a shop on site which was only open on one day a week for 2 hours (canteen staff manned it). During those 2 hours anyone on the site could shop there. If you were an employee it was logged against your employee number and taken out of your salary. If you were a contractor/visitor/guest, you had to pay cash. It was not mentioned to me by the agent and I only found out about the shop a few months after starting.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I have a feeling they just don't 'get' contracting if I'm honest - I think they've copy pasted their standard job ad template which includes their normal employee perks.

If you went for the job, would you need to do something specific to avoid ir35 like have them write a new version or put something in the contract to exclude those benefits? Or would simply not using them be good enough? Is the expectation on me to be able to prove I *haven't* used them? (Which seems like it would be difficult to do!).

Also, does this extend as far as things like coffee etc in the office? My observation of contractors in my current place is they seem quite happy using facilities, helping themselves to fruit the company provides etc. I'm assuming technically speaking this stuff should be avoided, although also presumably pretty difficult for anyone to prove either way...?

Comment

Matty are things like fruit/coffee provided for visitors as well as employees? If an external person turns up for a meeting are they allowed access to the coffee etc, if so then it is not an employee perk
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

@Matty often the agent will copy and paste a job spec into the ad. If you then interact with the company they will treat you differently.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Matty are things like fruit/coffee provided for visitors as well as employees? If an external person turns up for a meeting are they allowed access to the coffee etc, if so then it is not an employee perk
                  Ahh yes of course makes sense. Cheers!

Comment

Only thing I would say - if you do go for the contract then educate the client on what it means to be a contractor - if HMRC come calling they will question the client as to whether they considered you to be part and parcel of the organisation and if 'employee perks' are mentioned you could be up a certain creek without a certain paddle.
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X