• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do \ Advice ? :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do \ Advice ? :-(

Hi All,

Really appricate some advice here on what would be the best way to deal with this situation.

My contract is 3 months rolling, it is about to expire next week, I have been promised a renewal which is good except leading up to the expirary of my contract I secured a much better job (in terms of career and day rate). I am currently going through screening for the company and due to start the following week after my contract here expires.

Im worried my screening will take longer and I will be left in limbo as I wont be able to sign a extension here (2 weeks notice) and what if I fail the screening (no reason why I should but if references dont come back or dates are wrong etc).

So what shall I do? If it comes to next Friday (end of contract) and there is no update on my screening it will mean that I will either explain to my new contract that they will have to wait 2 weeks as I dont want to be without a job (not sure if they will be OK with this). Or be honest with my current employers and say I am waiting for a better offer and can they hang on? Is there any other tricks I can use. I take it by coming in on the Monday I have basically agreed to a extension just by turning up?

Anyone else been in this situation? My fear is leaving my current job by not renewing, waiting for my clearance for my new contract and then them letting me down last minute which will leave me with nothing. I do I just have to take that risk.

Thanks,

Tough one! In theory it is a happy problem - but even so!

Personally I would speak to the new client and be honest with them. Explain you need clearance by a certain day(Wednesday night next week?) or they will have to wait 2 weeks for them. Sometimes approval can be fast tracked?

I would not give up a contract without being certain of what you have elsewhere. I don't think you have to worry about not passing screening. But you should worry about screening being delayed. Or the client changing their mind while screening is taking place.

Comment

Was it agreed to be 3 months rolling or were you just given an extension at the end of each three months. Rolling contracts are not good for IR35. How many times have you renewed? Calling it a job isn't the best terminology either but am sure someone will disagree.

So.. where were we.. ah yes, someone that want's their cake and to eat it yet doesn't know what to do when they've landed themselves in a situation... right....

Yes by turning up you've agreed to your extension. You could, if you are feeling particularly mercenary just use notice period but I'm guessing as soon as the screening has come through they will want you immediately and any notice period could jeopardize your new gig.

Contracting always has an element of risk. You can't have it all your own way every time. If there are better gigs out there paying more money then you've got to go at somepoint. I'd decline the renewal with the new gig on going, continue to look in the meantime just in case the screening does fail and get another better paid gig instead. In the meanwhile I'd enjoy a bit of bench time.

Until you tell us otherwise I'll assume you've only done 3 months with your client so I don't think they are going to be particularly forthcoming with any flexibility to help you. Maybe if you've been with them for a bit and have an excellent relationship they might... but in general clients are not there to provide you flexibility to dump them for better gigs.

Screwing a client over just so you can mitigate your risk isn't my cup to tea but I can think of at least one person that will come on and advise completely the opposite.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you really don't mind pissing clients off I guess you could say you want a weeks holiday and can your renewal start from the Monday you get back. That means you have another week for the screening to come through and have not technically signed the renewal contract.

Pretty crappy thing to do if you do manage to pull it off though. Although you might not be contractually obliged you have set an expectation with the agent and client which won't go down well if you bail.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Screwing a client over just so you can mitigate your risk isn't my cup to tea but I can think of at least one person that will come on and advise completely the opposite.

I have been "screwed" over by clients several times. However at the end of the day it is not really screwing over. It is just business. In my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I have been "screwed" over by clients several times. However at the end of the day it is not really screwing over. It is just business. In my opinion.
            True enough.. I guess it depends on what he is actually willing to do. If he takes the extension and then just walks, breaching contract, then IMO that's a no no. If he accepts and then just uses notice then we have a debate.

So yes, it could be just business if it's done a certain way. That said I do think doing 'business' is a state of mind though and some people don't think of it like business and just do what suits them and calls it 'doing business'. I think there is a difference personally but I most certainly get your meaning.

Interesting point is when does doing good business cross the line and ends up being bad business.

Comment

It's tough, I thought about doing the holiday thing but being sh1tt1y is not really in my nature at all.

I did not agree to a 3 month rolling it has just been extended, this will be the 2nd time so would take me up to 9 months.

Do you think it is worth being honest with my current contract agents and saying I am mulling over a better offer and are they prepared to wait a few days.

I guess I can speak to my new job (which is direct employment - no agent) and tell them but I did not want to rock the boat.

I called the screening company today and they said they are waiting for a reference and my security screening had not come back and it would not be escalted as they were focusing on people starting on 6th of Jan (which makes me worry as they leave it so close to the line). They told me to call back next tuesday.

Any other ideas on how to play out this one while keeping both jobs in hand would be appreciated!

I don't think it is a good situation to be in at all as I am at risk of loosing both jobs not the luxery of always having one.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by ac2326 View Post
                It's tough, I thought about doing the holiday thing but being sh1tt1y is not really in my nature at all.
                So what was your thinking when you were looking for and accepted the new gig? Just deal with this later or did you have the plan for it to dovetail with the end of this gig?

I did not agree to a 3 month rolling it has just been extended, this will be the 2nd time so would take me up to 9 months.
                Ok so it's not a rolling contract. That's a very different thing. Learn the terminology, it can be important.

Do you think it is worth being honest with my current contract agents and saying I am mulling over a better offer and are they prepared to wait a few days.
                Dunno, but I wouldn't. If the other one does fall through and you accept the extension it's highly likely the client could start looking round for someone to replace you and serve you notice when they find someone as well.

I guess I can speak to my new job (which is direct employment - no agent) and tell them but I did not want to rock the boat.
                It's not a job and it's not direct employment. Learn your terminology.. It's kind of important.

I called the screening company today and they said they are waiting for a reference and my security screening had not come back and it would not be escalted as they were focusing on people starting on 6th of Jan (which makes me worry as they leave it so close to the line). They told me to call back next tuesday.
                Tough one this. Did you explain your situation to them, or just at least tell them you need to be prioritized or you won't take the gig. See if they will jump to attention if they realize it's jeopardizing the position?

Any other ideas on how to play out this one while keeping both jobs in hand would be appreciated!
                I'm out.

I don't think it is a good situation to be in at all as I am at risk of loosing both jobs not the luxery of always having one.

Thanks again
                Sometimes that's contracting. These types of luxury are not common and need hard work and some hard decisions... Which I guess you've got right now.

Don't forget that there will always be another gig after the one you are in and after the one you are trying to get. It's not the end of the world. Should the very worst happen you've got a warchest and it's a decent time to be looking so all is not lost. In a year or two of contracting you'll look back at this and it will just be a drop in the ocean. You can't be afraid of being on the bench from time to time else you are going to have a fairly torrid time.

Comment

Originally posted by ac2326 View Post
                  They told me to call back next Tuesday
                  Brillo, surprised you didn't jump on this one

OP, if your war chest is good you can gamble on the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                    Brillo, surprised you didn't jump on this one

OP, if your war chest is good you can gamble on the new one.
                    LOL I did wonder if that was the exact wording they used.

Comment

Working...
                    X