• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie with some unanswered questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with some unanswered questions

Hello There,

I had been reading the main website for a while, which was great, then I found the forum - what more do I need!!?

My profession is Software Development. Having graduated from a mid level Irish Institution with first class in a BSC Hons. Computer Science course. I went on to work as an engineer for a small tech company (not startup) for two years. Upon leaving my first job I worked as a freelance (not contractor in one role) handyman to learn some new skills and keep out a blank on my CV. This was while I planned a move to London and lived from home. That said, I did work on some interesting projects for a number of clients and got a couple of references along the way.

Upon moving to London, I have been working what I consider a well paid 55k (no bens) job as Android Developer.

Thats a total of 3 years experience.

My main experience has been Android Development, but I can also develop in C#.NET, PHP, Java SE, Obj-C iOS and the HTML + CSS + JS stack.

I have been in my current permie role for 9 months and i'm completely burnt out from it. I mean for a variety of reasons I have lost any motivation - it just isn't working out. I had been considering contracting as that is big here in London. I have decided to leave my current role and throw the kitchen sink at contracting. I am aware this time of year until January end is off season and as a new I will find it difficult to get a gig probably. I am planning to be positioned for a start late January/February.

I plan to pursue and Android contract first off at a rate I am unsure of - probably around £350 - 400 (from research)

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. I am currently unsure about contracting, mainly my ability and how I will be treated in contrast to a regular perm employee.

What do people think of my experience? In relation to Android, there are a few small things I haven't been exposed to yet and maybe one or two more aspects that I need to sharpen up on. Where does that place me on the market, should I expect to be able to get a gig and if so keep it? By that I mean, at what point does a client sack you for being awful? I don't lack confidence and everybody has been more that happy with me so far. Call this a sanity check, if you will.

The second is about how employees are treated in contrast to perms. I'm talking on a professional/working level here. I understand they are first to go, holidays, benefits etc. I mean, do contractors get pressed with completely unrealistic deadlines and get thrown scrappy work etc. I understand that we are hired guns etc and should provide value each day, but there is there a middle ground somewhere?

Well, that turned into a bit of an essay, sorry about that. Please feel free to chime in and put me straight

UPDATE:
    In response to northernladuks comments. Most of my experience is based on Android mobile development. As in that was my core responsibility in each position. That said, in each role, I have performed some other tasks, who hasn't. Probably amounting to about 20%.

In my original post I may have made it sound like I wanted to give up on permanent altogether after such a short time. It's just my current role is a big problem and given that I have been curious about contracting and no major financial commitments I would like to give it a try. I am of the opinion that this is not a bad thing and is just some more experience really. I like the idea of not so long term engagements to work on a variety of projects.
    Last edited by password; 23 October 2015, 19:20. Reason: Some clarification

3 years experience straight from University? Much of it difficult to quantify from what you've said. I can't see how that is going to work out well for you but I don't know software development. Surely there is going to be a queue of people much more industry and dev experience in front of you. Need one of our dev regulars to chime in here though.

I can't help thinking with less than 33 months of experience of being a permie you don't really know enough about it to decide its rubbish. If you don't have the cojones to see more than 33 months through I can't help thinking the downs of contracting are going to be tough for you. It's not all roses you know.

With a first you should be able to pick and chose the jobs you want and experience a rapid career advancement. Not sure why you would want to give that up to do the same thing for the rest of your life either. I'd be milking permie land for everything it's got and then come back to contracting and charge twice those rates.

You are aware the future of contracting hangs in the balance at the moment and its quite possible many experienced people could be packing it in to go perm in the next 18 months or so?

I personally think you are making a huge mistake.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 23 October 2015, 19:17.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks northernladuk,

I have updated my original post with some clarification and thank you for your input.

Basically, I haven't made any judgements or decisions about Permanent vs Contracting. I have just been curious about contracting and would like to give it a go. Right now, I would like to give it a shot before just jumping into another perm role.

I know many people would say that you don't simply just give anything "a shot", I would disagree. Surely opting in by choice is better than being coerced by circumstance i.e. needing the money etc.

I understand the potential pitfalls but also the rewards, imho I have decided that it is worth it somewhat.

My BIGGEST concern right now is that of my experience. I am a good developer, no doubt about that, not anything super special or amazing or anything just good in that people are happy to work with me and I do a good job. I just need to see where I am positioned.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

With a first you should be able to pick and chose the jobs you want and experience a rapid career advancement. Not sure why you would want to give that up to do the same thing for the rest of your life either. I'd be milking permie land for everything it's got and then come back to contracting and charge twice those rates.

You are aware the future of contracting hangs in the balance at the moment and its quite possible many experienced people could be packing it in to go perm in the next 18 months or so?

I personally think you are making a huge mistake.
        Just saw this. It is great advice, I very much appreciate it.

Perhaps this current perm role has just sucked the life out of me and the next will be better.

Also, re the laws here. That's true, I was reading that alright.. not good I guess.

Comment

You can only give it a shot if you have the skills and experience to make it work. I'm saying you need to stay perm in order to be able to get any work to give it a shot.

When contracting you are selling your skills and experience, not your degree or ability to learn etc. It's as simple as that. If you don't have the experience the next guy has he's going to get the work.

Comment

With a 1st and Android experience why aren't you banging on Google's doors to get in to one of their high flying grad schemes?

Comment

And how did you get my password as a user name????

Comment

You can only give it a shot if you have the skills and experience to make it work. I'm saying you need to stay perm in order to be able to get any work to give it a shot.

When contracting you are selling your skills and experience, not your degree or ability to learn etc. It's as simple as that. If you don't have the experience the next guy has he's going to get the work.
                This all makes sense really.. To be honest I have been aware that there is more to contracting than the daily rate. I just hadn't considered this aspect. It makes sense really and makes be believe I might not be too well positioned. I probably would be better off growing as a perm for another while.

With a 1st and Android experience why aren't you banging on Google's doors to get in to one of their high flying grad schemes?
                I'm not sure really :/

Comment

He missed the "1" off
                  I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Working...
                  X