• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving back to the UK as a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving back to the UK as a contractor

Hello Everybody,

I have a question about returning to the UK and working as a contractor which I wondered if anybody could help with - I’m British and have lived in Finland for almost 20 years – Working for Nokia originally and now for a smaller company. As I work with a lot of UK contacts (and miss the UK a bit) I am trying to transfer my job to the UK, starting with a few months and then hopefully extending. As I would be the only employee in the UK, and I don’t want to make it too complicated for my employer, I initially thought I would try to do it via an umbrella company. As I’m new to this, I did some reading and found that I could also do it via a limited company.

I have been thinking that I would continue paying social security contributions in Finland for the time being as I would like to keep up payments in my Finnish state pension (it’s a final salary scheme). This would mean that my employer would continue to make their contributions and I would contribute my part as well. I understand that I can get an ‘A1’ form which states that I’m paying NICs elsewhere, and will exempt me from paying NIC in the UK. The ‘A1’ exemption is mentioned on the web page below, but none of the umbrella companies I have spoken to are familiar with it. Does anybody know if any Umbrella companies would accept A1 forms to exempt me from NICs, or should I do things in a different way?

https://www.gov.uk/tax-come-to-uk

Many thanks,

Mark.

Working...
X